Image result for self reflective

What is Self-Reflection?

Self-reflection can be understood as a process that gives an individual a chance to stop and reflect on what they have learnt (Bolton, 2009). Self-reflection is all about building up self-awareness. It is considered as the foundation of personal and professional development.

Read this also: Reflective Practice

Why is self-reflection important?

1. To increase self-awareness

“Change requires two things: a goal, and an awareness of where one currently is in order to assess the discrepancy between the two.” – Psychology Today

If you are on a self-improvement journey, you need to understand where are you right now and what destination you are trying to get to. Without self-awareness, we can not really understand our own strengths, goals and values. So understanding yourself can help you to make a better decision to achieve the goal and improve the weaknesses so you can get to where you want to be one day. (Moon, 2005).

Image result for self awareness memes

Read this also: The importanfce of Self-reflection

My Reflective Report for the Digital Marketing group presentation

So, where should I start? A new seminar group for Digital Marketing lesson. I was excited and worried when we have been told to do a group presentation.

Why I was excited? I knew that this was a chance for me to apply all the knowledge and theories in a practical way. Also, I saw this as a chance to enrich my business knowledge, so that I can apply them in my internship next year because I am applying for a Marketing role.

I grouped up with 4 people from the next table, Connor, Tom, Ceb and Stan who invited me to join their group right after the seminar finished. Without any hesitation, I accepted the invitation!

The experience of working with them gives me an idea of how it’s like working virtually. As we all come from different courses, it is hard for us to organise a meeting as we did not have the same schedule. So we decided to communicate through WhatApps and work on a shared document on Google Drive. At first, I found it quite uncomfortable working online as I believe I can not express my idea nicely on text. However, it ended up nicely and I realise I have improved so much since last year. I know my future job would require me to work and communicate virtually with clients overseas. This experience is essential to me as now I know my capability and I would have the confidence to perform better in the future.

Furthermore, I used to hate group work and prefer to work with people I know. However, in my future career it might require me to work with people I do not know. So I decided to push myself and join them as a team. From this experience, I understand everyone has different working styles, which I was always complaining about. This understanding is important for me as now I know I have to adapt to other’s working style also.

References

Bolton, Gillie. (2009). Write to Learn: Reflective Practice Writing

Moon, Jenny. (2005). Reflection in learning & professional development.

Psychology Today. (2020). Reflection critical for self-improvement. [online] Available at: https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog/the-social-self/201009/reflection-critical-self-improvement [Accessed 30 Jan. 2020].