#RESEARCH# Brighton Photo Fringe Photography gallery

Image merged within an installation.

“Rooted in research surrounding the anxiety disorders Derealisation (the condition wherein a person feels the reality surrounding them is unreal) and Depersonalisation (a feeling of detachment from oneself, or that oneself is unreal) the precarious nature of perception is performed through a series of works that accumulate to create a subtly unsettling experience.”

I can see many elements through these images Consider Falling, such as an empty space with mirrors, colour board, wood blocks, photographs and geometric shapes, the presence of mirrors allows me to see other images reflected.

The subtly unsettling experience  is also evident in the chipped nail varnish, a few stray hairs, and the reddish tint of the eyes.

Sarah Howe, from the series, Consider Falling, 2017

I’m not really sure why I took this picture, I didn’t understand what she was trying to say,  like the name of the picture, “she did things not simply”. Why did the photographer put a note paper on her head? But we can still barely see the part of the face that is blocked by the photographer, the short hair, from the way she dresses to the way she looks like an Asian woman. Anyway, I was thinking, wouldn’t it be fun to put this idea into my shoot? Label my picture differently and write down what I feel about it.

Stephanie Talber, She Did Things Not Simply, from the series Resonance, 2016

She was eating the same breakfast every day, coffee or tea, bread and strawberry jam.  It looked as if she was alone for breakfast, and there was only one plate and cup on the table, and the other chairs had not been drawn away. The flowers on the table, the floral patterned tablecloth, and the floral skirt, all of these gives  the image more lively colour. The first thing I see is all this colourful, warm stuff, but what’s wrong with her face? The lower half of her face was like wear a mask, serious and taciturn.

Lisa Caeletta, Everyday the same breakfast, from the series, The ordinary life of Alison,

2017

The feather on the image like razor-sharp Blades, same feather, same position, different light.

Idea: moving light around body or object.

Thom Bridge, Pied, 2018

The photographer retake the photo when the photo is still slightly curled. It gives a feeling of touch.This artwork inspired me to scan my body and face, see what it look likes, and what kind of texture’s gonna appear.
Victoria Fonieles, Touched and Seen with Body and Snow, 2018

When you cover your face with a towel, do you see anything? Can you breathe in?It makes me feel hard to breathe, but the color makes me feel clean and simple, extremely comfortable. Just like I don’t need to think anything, stop doing anything, just take a good rest.
Amelia Shepherd, Self-Portrait: Untitled 1, from the series While You Were Sleeping,2018