School of Education news

Secondary physics trainee teacher Taofiq Durodola

What is it like studying a Physics PGCE?

We caught up with student teacher, Taofiq Durodola, to give us an insight into what it is like studying a (Secondary) Physics PGCE at Brighton.

Why I chose Brighton

I am an international student, so it was important for me to study at a university that offered VISA sponsorship. Brighton was very quick to respond and my interview with the course lead was very reassuring.

How the course is taught

The course has been carefully designed which puts high priority on students’ wellbeing. The combination of university-based training and school-based training (SBT) has been very complimentary.

During university-based training we have been on field trips to the Download school; for sessions on lesson chunking and carrying out practical biology, and observed experienced professionals on behaviour management.

Before being sent on our first school placement, we also took part in micro-teaching which the tutors reflected on and gave individual feedback for areas of improvement.

My school placement

I have recently completed my first phase of school-based training, observing the teachers of years 7, 8 and 10, which has been an amazing experience.

My routine whilst on placement was as follows:

• arrive at school by 8am
  • check through my planner to see the lessons and other activities for the day
  • print any papers which may be needed during lessons to support SEND students
  • if a lesson is a practical session, I will check with the lab attendant to ensure the apparatus is set
  • arrive at the lesson about 10 minutes before the period, lay out the pupils’ books and bring up the PowerPoint for the lesson
  • welcome the students, take attendance and proceed with the lesson whilst the class teacher writes my observation notes and any areas of improvement.

In between lessons, there is a break and lunchtime and the school day ends at 3:10 pm.

Support for student teachers

I have felt very supported by the school mentor, alongside the professional tutor and the entire school system. The class teachers also offer support by reflecting on your teaching and suggesting ways of improvement.

The link tutors from the university check up on you during the SBT mainly to ensure that you have the necessary support and most importantly address your concerns as pertain to your well-being.

The school CPD sessions complement that of the university. It was beneficial in the sense that it addresses a lot of challenges trainees experience while teaching such as adaptive teaching, voice projection and knowing how best to handle disadvantaged students.

Interested in a career in teaching?

Find out how you can become a teacher with Brighton. 

Christina Camm • February 20, 2024