Education studies and teaching courses at Brighton news

graduate Francess Moore looking through a microscope

From photographer to teacher – why I chose to study (Secondary) Biology PGCE.

Meet Francesca Moore, who graduated from our (Secondary) Biology PGCE as she tells us about her journey into teaching and her current role as a teacher at Holy Trinity Church of England School in Crawley:

Image of Francesca Moore with photography equipment

“Prior to studying for my PGCE, I had been a photographer for fifteen years, creating projects that focused on social, humanitarian and environmental issues. I also taught photography in art centres, schools and colleges, as well as workshops for 15-17 year olds. It was working with these young people that inspired me to pursue a career working in secondary education.

“I already had a BSc (Hons) in Zoology and an MSc in Biological Photography so for me it felt like a natural progression and a return to my roots to specialise in Biology.

“Brighton offered a fantastic science PGCE, the tutors were amazing, drawing on their wealth of experience and being with you every step of the way”.

“The PGCE offers so much more than just classroom-based guidance and experience. Our professional studies lectures were fantastic; we learnt everything from behaviour management to metacognition, inclusion and equality, listening to experts in their fields. School placements were great, and it was useful to have our feedback from class teachers interleaved with the university training.

Francesca Moore fire on hand in science lab

“Since graduating I have been working in a secondary school, where I am responsible for a year 13 tutor group. I’ve also set up a girl’s football team which I’m so grateful for as it reflects how important equal opportunities are and how important positive representation can be.

“Being a career changer means I am able to use my eclectic academic and professional experience to inform the way that I teach, enabling me to be methodological, flexible, and adaptable.

“I’m so fortunate to be in a great school that cherishes its school community so deeply. The pupils respond to that warmly, and all staff are incredibly friendly and supportive. Everyone always has time for you and take a moment to listen and this is really valuable as an Early Career Teacher”.

Are you interested in becoming a teacher – find out more about our postgraduate teaching routes on the University of Brighton website.

Christina Camm • November 30, 2022