Youjin Choi, an Exhibition designer at the National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art (MMCA) in South Korea was a CDH/University of Brighton Design Archives International Visiting Research Fellow (VRF) at the University of Brighton in 2024. She visited the University between 29th May to 19th June. As part of her Fellowship, she presented a talk that discussed the history of exhibition design at the MMCA. Below is a reflection from Choi on her experience as part of the fellowship.

As part of my fellowship, I stayed in Brighton in May and June and visited the Design Archives every Tuesday and Wednesday. My visit had two main objectives. Firstly, as a design history researcher, I aimed to thoroughly investigate and study my specific area of interest by reviewing the Design Council (CoID) materials held at the Design Archives. Secondly, as an exhibition designer, I sought inspiration for archiving methodologies for recording and preserving museum exhibition designs.

The Design Archives are renowned for holding many design collections, including a significant amount of Design Council material, both physically and digitally. My main interest was in the Design Council’s annual reports and various publications dating back to 1945, archive photographs, meticulous records of national and overseas exhibitions organised by the Council, and extensive documents relating to the organisation. Upon confirmation and arrival of the requested materials, I would sit at an individual desk, wear blue latex gloves, and commence reviewing the materials. Although I was concerned about time constraints, I was able to take reference photographs. In addition, if further materials are required in the future, additional research services can be provided through a separate process. During the rest of my free time, including weekends, I often visited St. Peter’s House library, which was located close to the Grand Parade campus. The library was small but pleasant and cosy, the staff were friendly, and the rare design books were easily accessible and comfortable to browse through.

With Sue Breakell, Director of the University of Brighton Design Archives

My primary focus was to analyse the strategic implications and trends of exhibition curation in the Design Council-led exhibitions. A comparative study with similar examples in Korea promised to reveal contrasting aspects of modern design manifestations in the two countries. For example, in addition to prominent exhibitions such as “Britain Can Make It” in 1946 and the “Festival of Britain” in 1951, organised by the Design Council, there were numerous small and large exhibitions of consumer goods design. They aimed to raise public and manufacturer awareness of ‘good design’ as part of the rebuilding of British society after the Second World War. The impact on the public remains to be fully understood, but it’s notable that the Council continued to organise exhibitions centred around the theme of ‘Home,’ showcasing how ‘design’ could enhance the quality of life. Another notable aspect is the detailed crediting of designers’ roles in each documented photograph of the exhibitions. Whether as chief designer, lighting designer, or display designer, these credits provide valuable insights into the clear recognition and status of designers at that time. Along with the materials examined during this visit, I plan to conduct a comparative study with similar cases in Korea and present my research findings at an online seminar open to CDH members and other interested parties in September.

Reverse side of a photograph from the Britain Can Make It Exhibition, Design Council Archive, University of Brighton Design Archives

As a researcher in design history and culture, and with 12 years of experience as an exhibition designer at the National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art in South Korea (MMCA), I am interested not only in the cultural phenomena of design manifested through exhibitions but also in the history of museum exhibition design and the questions surrounding its documentation and preservation. As part of the fellowship programme, I delivered a talk titled “History and Practices of Exhibition Design at the MMCA,” drawing on my experiences. In this talk, I analysed the employment of exhibition designers and trends in exhibition design practice according to key periods in the history and development of the MMCA. For example, one of the prominent phenomena of the 2010s has been the rise of archive exhibitions, derived from architectural archive collections donated to museums. We discussed the pros and cons of archive use in this context. We also shared practical efforts and concerns regarding the sustainability of exhibition design and current environmental issues, which became acutely apparent after the experience of COVID-19.

As a museum practitioner, I also had questions about the documentation and preservation of exhibition design as a challenge that is difficult to implement in practice but needs to be addressed. The loss of material due to staff turnover, the complexities of preserving digital files as the medium diversifies, and, above all, the importance of archiving design, especially exhibition design, in a fine art-focused museum, is not easy to prioritise. However, with the help of Jen Grasso, Digital Content and Systems Coordinator at the Design Archives, I was able to gain valuable guidance and encouragement on basic archiving strategies. Although the MMCA is an institution that primarily holds, researches and exhibits art-centred, works, I hope that this opportunity will lead to diverse and in-depth research exchanges from a trans-genre and trans-national perspective centred on archiving.

Archive storage box for the Design Council’s photo library, DCA/30, Design Council Archive, University of Brighton Design Archives

In conclusion, I am very fortunate to have had the opportunity to closely examine primary sources in my area of interest through the CDH/UoBDA fellowship programme. Lesley Whitworth, Deputy Curator with particular expertise in the Design Council archive, and Sirpa Kutilainen, Preservation and Digital Resource Coordinator, provided invaluable support and guidance throughout my research journey. Sue Breakell, the archives director, understood my research objectives, curated relevant materials, and ensured a comfortable research environment, making my experience truly enriching. I extend my heartfelt thanks to them and encourage future visitors to approach them confidently for a productive and enjoyable research experience.