work by maeve grace taylor

Graduates 2024: Maeve Grace Taylor: Textiles

“Being in the knit studio together with the other knitters and technicians is an inspiring place to work, all supporting each other… This is definitely the place I will miss most after I graduate.”

“My final project this year, titled ‘Knights and the Beasts they fear’, was inspired by knights armour from the medieval period and the catalogues of beasts both mythical and real, named Medieval bestiaries. The idea to me of combining a juxtaposing idea of armour being so hard and cold in knitwear which is typically considered soft and warm was something that captured my interest and exploring how to translate one into the other was a challenge that captivated me all year. I love to play with surface texture and form combining all my research and developing traditional knit techniques into something contemporary and different to create an interesting collection of knitted womenswear.”

What made you choose your course?

“Before coming for my interview at Brighton, I really wasn’t sure where I wanted to attend but as soon as I stepped onto the textiles floor and felt the buzz and energy around, I knew it was going to be the right choice for me. It felt like an environment that would push me to explore my creative abilities and find my true passion that I will hopefully be able to carry on with for the rest of my life.”

Can you tell us about your favourite part of your studies and how it helped the development of you and your practice.

“Within the course, I was allowed to my practice down any avenue that I desired supported by teaching of the foundations of knit as a medium giving me a rounded skill set both creatively and practically. Being in the knit studio together with the other knitters and technicians is an inspiring place to work, all supporting each other and creating new capabilities within ourselves and others as well as also encouraging space to collaborate with other students. This is definitely the place I will miss most after I graduate.”

What does Brighton mean to you now?

“Brighton will always have my heart; it is a wonderful place to live and work and I couldn’t have chosen a nicer city to go to university in.”

Can you tell us your plans after graduation?

“I’m not 100% sure on my plans after graduation, I think I plan to take whatever opportunity comes my way but the one thing is for sure, I never want to stop knitting.”

Finally, if you could give your 17 year old self any advice about going to university what would it be?

“Don’t be afraid to be selfish, sometimes it’s not a bad thing to put yourself first. Also don’t be afraid to make mistakes as often some interesting things can be born from what initially started out as a mistake – everything is an opportunity to learn.”

Follow Maeve on Instagram

Find out about studying Textiles at Brighton

Watch out for news about the Graduate Summer Shows

Follow the Brighton Summer Shows on Instagram

Credits:

Photography – Zarik Cross
Garments & Styling – Maeve Taylor
Creative Direction – Fin Newman
Models – Stephanie Wright & Poppy Williams