Quentin Blake poster

Illustration student Grace Moran designs ex lecturer Raymond Briggs exhibition poster

Congratulations to University of Brighton student Grace Moran who has won a competition to design the publicity poster for Bloomin’ Brilliant: The Life and Work of Raymond Briggs exhibition at Ditchling Museum of Art + Craft.

Grace, who is studying Illustration, was given the brief to design a poster as part of the run up to the exhibition celebrating the life of Briggs who taught at the University in the mid 1960s.

Commenting on the design she says: “When looking up photos of Brigg’s himself I found a lot of them included his desk. I thought how can I include him and his place of work in the same image? Which is when I came up with the design of him from this perspective. I used my friend Amelie to pose for me to find the right angle, which she kindly but reluctantly agreed to. The added scarf is also a nod to The Snowman.”

Grace says she is really looking forward to the visiting the exhibiton: “I plan on going to and attending any workshops I can. I can’t wait to see his work in person.”

Speaking about her course she says: “I have loved my course so far. It has encouraged me to move out of my comfort zone and try new things such as using animation, which is what I am really enjoying currently.”

The exhibition Bloomin’ Brilliant: The Life and Work of Raymond Briggs  is at Ditchling Museum of Art + Craft from 27th April – 27th October 2024 and is in collaboration with the Quentin Blake Centre for Illustration.

Find out about studying Illustration BA(Hons) at the University of Brighton.