Graduates 2023: Jemma Day: MA Photography

“The opportunities for experimentation and the freedom to explore different mediums and techniques have been highlights of the course for me.”

Please tell us a bit about your work and your influences

In my MA studies, my work encompasses a multidisciplinary approach, merging alternative photographic processes, sculpture, and printmaking. I am particularly interested in exploring the themes of the ageing female body and engaging in a dialogue with feminist artists from the 1960s to the present day, drawing inspiration from influential figures such as Louise Bourgeois, Helen Chadwick, and Sarah Lucas. 

Can you tell us a bit about your journey to youcourse and made you choose it? 

As a practicing artist specialising in painting, I wanted to expand my visual language and felt that photography would provide a valuable avenue for exploration. The reputation of the MA Photography program, coupled with the opportunity to learn from experienced academic tutors, motivated me to choose this course. 

What were the highlights of the course for you?

I have enjoyed the debates around our practice and the ability to dissect our work in order to understand what drives and inspires us as artists. Additionally, the opportunities for experimentation and the freedom to explore different mediums and techniques have been highlights of the course for me. 

Was the location of your course in Brighton important?

The location of the course in Brighton was important to me as it provided convenient access to the local artistic community and allowed for greater integration within the vibrant arts scene of the city. 

What are your plans after graduation? What’snext for you? 

After graduation, my plans include seeking gallery representation and actively participating in art fairs and exhibitions to showcase my work. Additionally, I will leverage my extended knowledge and incorporate it into my teaching practice as an art educator at Varndean College where I teach A-level Fine Art. 

What advice would you give to someone considering doing postgraduate study?

My advice to someone considering postgraduate study would be to carefully assess their personal goals and aspirations, ensuring that further education aligns with their artistic vision. Additionally, embrace the opportunity to engage in critical dialogue and explore contemporary issues, as postgraduate study can provide a platform for deepening one’s artistic practice and creating relevant and thought-provoking work. 

Instagram: @jemmadayphotography

@jemmadaystudio

Website: www.jemmaday.studio

Find out more about MA Photography

Watch out for news about the Graduate Summer Show

Follow the Brighton Summer Shows on Instagram