Graduates 2022: Clive Parsley: MA Fine Art

Having been guided by my tutors and mentor to hone my research proposal, within the first couple of months I felt confident enough to steer away from my planned use of medium and experiment in new techniques. 

Currently my interest is drawn by a world we can’t see – the invisible space that we move through and the rooms, buildings and landscapes in which we live. Each street, each building, new or old, has its own story. Spaces where an endless procession of people’s lives have been and will continue to be played out. I’m intrigued by the journeys of those who’ve passed through this space and the traces they might leave behind. My work attempts to capture this by using found objects, site intervention and site-specific installations. My aim is to suggest narratives and enigma which might encourage a viewer to ‘reflect on past human consciousness and memory. I’m particularly influenced by the work of Doris Salcedo and Chiharu Shiota – artists who repurpose objects and perpetuate identity through memorial.

Despite attending my MA during 2 years of ‘Lockdown’ periods and having to participate remotely on occasion, I was surprised how much more of a journey of self-discovery it became. Having been guided by my tutors and mentor to hone my research proposal, within the first couple of months I felt confident enough to steer away from my planned use of medium and experiment in new techniques. Together with the constant feed of references relevant to my work, it seemed to present me with a deepening vein of inspiration. The result being that the style of my work has now taken on an unexpected direction which happily, is continuing to evolve.

How did you choose your course – why did you choose to study Fine Art?

As an artist working in isolation and in danger of getting caught in a cycle of repetition, I realized I needed to break out and challenge myself. As I was also keen to establish links with local artist networks and with Brighton’s Art School being well-respected it was a natural fit.

With my new-found research techniques and impetus I’m keen to find out where it takes me…

Instagram: @cliveparsley.art

https://cliveparsley.co.uk

Visit the MA Summer Show

Find out more about MA Fine Art