Graduates 2022: Ugne Petreikyte: Illustration

“I am grateful that the course in Brighton is not set in stone for what kind of work you are expected to make – for those who find traditional illustration not fitting for their practise, they are encouraged to use other mediums which makes the course incredibly multidisciplinary.”

My practise varies across drawing, animation, print and 3D where I explore the idea of connection and relationships between people and place among other subjects. I believe the themes found in my work subconsciously refers to my life and things I value the most. Perhaps that’s why my work tends to have a shared element of tenderness and strong use of colour which reflect the sensitivity of my character and how those subjects make me feel.

In terms of my influences, it varies from animation directors such as Anna Ginsburg and Hannah Jacobs, who create work about social and psychological subject matter, to musicians like FKA Twigs and Solange, who have strong visual language in their art.

I deeply admire artists who expand their practise and use other mediums due to my own struggles juggling in between different ways of working. I am slowly learning that having a variety of skills is a strength and does not limit you to make the work you aspire to make.

The last three years went by so quickly and my practice has changed radically. Studying half of my course online due to the pandemic pushed me to adapt my work to screen and has made me lean more into animation. I am grateful that the course in Brighton is not set in stone for what kind of work you are expected to make – for those who find traditional illustration not fitting for their practise, they are encouraged to use other mediums which makes the course incredibly multidisciplinary. I suppose the hardest thing about the course is that it’s very independent which can be challenging while you are still figuring how to direct your practise in the beginning. On the other hand, you are provided with the creative freedom to create the work on the subjects you are truly passionate about.

How did you choose your course – why did you choose to study Illustration?

Illustration interested me for its’ storytelling where I could combine both real and fantasy worlds. I was highly influenced by my art teacher who saw that visual communication would suit me and my drawings best. Luckily, the course in Brighton helped me realise that perhaps moving image and animation is the medium I would like to work with.

I’m hoping to get a job as an assistant in an animation studio and continuing building on my animation practise.

Instagram: @ugnepreikyte

Cargo: ugnepetreikyte.cargo/site

Find out more about our visual communication courses

Visit the Graduate Show

Follow us on Insta: @brightonsummershows