work by natasha white

Graduates 2022: Natasha White: Textiles

“The course has taught me how to explore my ideas in depth and transform those ideas into textile products. I have found my course very inspiring, gaining knowledge from the tutors and practical skills from the technicians.”

Hi Natasha. Please tell us a bit about your work and your influences

“My final collection ‘shadow play’ is a mindful collection celebrating light, shadow, colour, nature and landscapes. When sunlight bounces onto solid objects an ethereal language of pattern and colour temporarily emerges, sometimes lasting for only a few seconds before disappearing. My body of work is inspired by those magical moments when sunlight lands on objects and creates shadows in our everyday environments.

“My main influences draw from abstract painting and nature.

“I wanted to create a range of textiles that were colourful and bold but with a subtle delicacy to them that can evolve and change through movement. I am interested in how different prints can become enhanced by the over-layering of each other. I have found layering can create a depth that results in new patterns, shadows, and colours, that all materilise and create a completely new work. Ethical and sustainable processes also play an important element to my work including natural dying processes.”

How have you found your course and time at Brighton?

“I have really enjoyed studying textiles at Brighton. The course has taught me how to explore my ideas in depth and transform those ideas into textile products. I have found my course very inspiring  gaining knowledge from the tutors and practical skills from the technicians that has given me a foundation to pursue my career in textile design.

“As a city to study in Brighton is incredible. It is friendly, and has so much going on there really is never a dull day, I’m sure someone will make you smile on the street of Brighton.”

How did you choose your course – why did you choose to study Textiles?

“The main reason I chose this course is because of the placement year in industry which I think is so important, and I thoroughly enjoyed despite covid. After doing a years Art and Design Foundation at Carmarthen School of Art I knew I wanted to study textile design. I loved all three specialisms (print, knit, weave) but was unsure which one I wanted to specialise in. On this course I was given the opportunity to try all of them out. This course really sets you up for industry or even becoming your own designer. You can be creative whilst gaining experience in the industry and creating products.”

What are your plans after graduation?

“After graduating I intend to pursue a career as a freelance self employed textile designer. I would like to set up a studio here in Brighton and also collaborate with other professionals such as interior designers and costume/set designers in the film industry. I hope to experiment and collaborate and create new exciting collections of work.”

Follow Natasha on Instagram and contact her for commissions, collaborations or print orders @Natashawhitetextiles

Visit her website www.whitetextiles.com

Find out about studying fashion and textiles at the University of Brighton.