work by samela gjozi

Graduates 2021: Samela Gjozi: Textiles Design with Business Studies

“I chose textiles as there is more variety on what it can be used for – not only fashion. The great thing about Brighton is that you can experiment and explore different textile specialisms, which help you choose what you are most interested in- mine being print design.”

Hi Samela – please tell us a bit about your work and your influences 

“My final collection ‘Gangsters Paradise’ focuses on Albania’s underworld culture and modern-day representation of the youth. My research looked at how street/gang culture has been represented within music videos, impacting how the youth show off wealth, while much of this part of society lives in poverty.

“I drew from music videos, films, and personal images of Albania to create surrealist prints with a rich, modern, and sophisticated colour palette for the men’s luxury streetwear market. The key processes used were digital, acid discharge printing, devoré and pigment screen-printing.”

“The Textiles with Business Studies course at Brighton has been great! I have thoroughly enjoyed my time studying and living here. I encourage future students to take part in the optional placement year- I learnt a lot during my year in the fashion industry- It is an opportunity to see what life is like after uni. My work has evolved so much in the past 4 years; I have learnt so much thanks to the tutors and technicians. The freedom to experiment has helped me become more confident and build my personal style.”

How did you choose your course – why did you choose to study Textiles?

“I had always wanted to do something creative. From doing textiles at college, I was always drawn to print design, of which I carried through to my art foundation. I chose textiles as there is more variety on what it can be used for – not only fashion. The great thing about Brighton is that you can experiment and explore different textile specialisms, which help you choose what you are most interested in- mine being print design.”

“My plans after graduation are to go into styling; this is something I was interested in after being on placement year. Placement year opened my eyes to the variety of jobs in the fashion/textiles industry. Although I love print design, styling is something I want to explore. I hope to gain more experience through assisting and interning to expand my knowledge and make a name for myself in the industry.”

Follow Samela on Instagram @samelagjozi_design

Email Samela at samelagjozi98@gmail.com

Find out about studying Textiles with Business Studies BA(Hons) at Brighton.