fashion design by damian campbell

Graduates 2021: Damian Campbell: Fashion Design with Business Studies

“The course has not only offered me the ability to explore my creativity, but also has a focus on technical skill and commercial appeal.”

Hi Damian – Please tell us a bit about your work and your influences

“My final collection is entitled Absurd Ornithology. Absurd Ornithology is a decorated womenswear collection grounded in the structural masculinity of the tuxedo. Taking cues from both Tudor dress and the works of 1930s surrealist artist, Max Ernst, the collection aims to strike a balance between severity and whimsy. The exaggerated proportions of Tudor dress are implemented in the collection to highlight the female form, with structured hips and clever seamlines creating the illusion of a narrow waist. The use of pearls and feathers as decoration create a sense of luxury and opulence, but still maintain a sleek appeal through the use of traditional bespoke tailoring details.”

How have you found your course and time at Brighton?

“I have truly enjoyed my time at Brighton. The course has not only offered me the ability to explore my creativity, but also has a focus on technical skill and the commercial appeal of my work which will stand me in good stead in the competitive job market.

How did you choose your course – why did you choose to study Fashion Design?

“I had previously thought that I would go to London to study, however, upon visiting Brighton the facilities and staff really appealed to me. It seemed to be less intense and competitive when compared to some London based universities. I can now, after 4 years here, confirm that this is true. The staff and my course mates have been very inclusive and supportive, there is a great collaborative culture.”

What are your plans after graduation?

“I intend on moving to London not long after graduation, and on working within the fashion industry. I had wonderful experiences during my placement year which I hope will help in securing a career starting position.”

Find out about studying Fashion Design with Business Studies BA(Hons) at Brighton.