photo by lucy limage

Graduates 2021: Lucy Limage: Photography

“During my time at Brighton I have found my way as an artist – I plan on continuing to make work in both a professional and commercial capacity; at Brighton I was encouraged to think beyond the course and what opportunities might await me.”

Hi Lucy – can you tell us a bit about your work and your influences?

“My work is based around the human lived experience, uncovering and documenting key parts of life such as our mental health, our relationships and our memories. Often, I start using photography as a foundation for my work, using it as my primary medium, then building upon this using project specific techniques; these include moving image, the use of text and performance art. My main influences to date are Jo Spence’s work in photo-therapy and Agnes Varda’s video work documenting social commentary and women’s issues.”

How have you found your course and time at Brighton?

“During my time at Brighton University I have found my way as an artist. Being able to utilise the facilities and through the guidance of the technical staff and tutors I am now confident in my abilities and have a vision with how my work can continue to evolve outside of university. During this extremely difficult time of the pandemic we have been encouraged as a year group to make work about our struggles and how this has affected us and it is through the course that I maintained structure and drive during the past couple of years.”

Take a look at Lucy’s moving image work:

How did you choose your course – why did you choose to study Photography?

“I have been interested in photography from a young age as my father worked as a photographer and my mother as an artist, I chose to channel this passion into a foundation degree at MET Brighton which I saw as a stepping stone to an art degree. I grew up locally to Brighton in nearby Lewes and so I have been constantly reminded of the artistic talent coming out of the Photography BA course. On completing my foundation, I visited the facilities on an open day and attended a graduation show at Edward Street, these events led me to apply.”

What are your plans after graduation?

“I plan on continuing to make work in both a professional and commercial capacity; at Brighton I was encouraged to think beyond the course and what opportunities might await me. I am interested in working within community arts and wellbeing programs as well as pursuing artist residencies within this line of work. I believe art has a key place within education and so being involved in this is important to my future plans.”

Follow @Lucylimage on Instagram.

Visit Lucy’s website.

Find out about studying Photography at Brighton.