artwork by George Paphiti

Graduates 2021: Georgios Pafitis: Fashion Communication with Business Studies

“During the three years of university life, I have met wonderful and talented people that helped me grow but also to understand my power and what I am capable of as an artist and individual. Brighton has shown a new world to my eyes and opened my horizons.”

Hi Georgios – can you tell us a bit about your work and your influences?
“If I’m in the right creative headspace I easily find inspiration to create; it is anything and nothing it can be a vivid memory from childhood, or from the creative arts: be it movies, music, art/ art history, fashion. Sometimes by just playing and trying new techniques and ideas. In addition, art has been my first ever true love and what inspired me to experiment and find my creative nature. I have drawn ideas and techniques from surrealism, renaissance, expressionism and contemporary. Moreover, I bring references from the LGBTQ+ community and prefer my work to be inclusive and gender fluid.
“My final major project was indeed inspired by surrealism and the imitation of art from life itself (earth, buildings, dreams)and the visualization of a fantasy world during the COVID-19 pandemic with pleasures found from fetishism. The illustrations are created from the editorials I directed for my magazine (FMP) and translate exactly that. The process begins with the image itself, if the image has shapes there is a possibility to follow those shapes and cut accordingly and continue by reshaping the image’s narrative, or built it based on a detail from the used image to create a new perspective of reality.”
How have you found your course and time at Brighton?
“During the three years of university life, I have met wonderful and talented people that helped me grow but also to understand my power and what I am capable of as an artist and individual. Brighton has shown a new world to my eyes and opened my horizons and possibilities to a new extent I have been longing to find growing up.
Thinking back to the time I chose to study Fashion Communication with Business studies in the University of Brighton, was definitely of how broad the course is, and the variety of knowledge and industry experimentation that is taught from the projects and tutors.
What are your plans after Graduation?
“After Graduation the plan is undoubtedly, to not have any more Covid restrictions (lockdowns) and be able to travel. Exhibit the illustrations made for the final major project and direct some unfinished exciting projects that were postponed because of the pandemic.”
Art account Instagram @ggeorgepaphiti.art