Clive Tyldesley leads tributes to journalists of the future

Legendary football commentator Clive Tyldesley was the guest of honour at the University of Brighton’s first Journalism Awards.

ITV’s lead commentator visited Eastbourne to hand out prizes and deliver a talk at the event on Monday 3 February, which recognised the work of final year Journalism BA(Hons) and Sport Journalism BA(Hons) students.

Tyldesley, who also commentates on the Premier League worldwide and in the popular FIFA game series, said: “The main reason I’m here is that I enjoy talking to the future of my business. Our industry, and I mean the whole media, is changing day-by-day and the way your generation consumes media is different to even five years ago.

“As someone who is trying to provide – and the clue is in the word – a broadcasting service, I’m commentating to people from nine to 90 and a lot of people in between.

“Coming here is as much for my benefit – to get an insight – as well as any information or advice that can I can give to you going ahead in the business.”

Owen Evans, course leader, BA Sports Journalism, added: “It was a memorable night and an excellent opportunity to not only recognise the outstanding work our journalism students do, but also the academic community they’ve created throughout the past three years”.

The full list of winners were:

Student Sophia Andersson Gylden

Winner Sophia Andersson Gylden

Zuzanna Marciniak – Outstanding Contribution to Journalism at the University of Brighton (In top photo with Clive)

Sam Smith and Jamie Edkins – Outstanding Contribution to Overtime Online

Menelik Ford – National Council for the Training of Journalists (NCTJ) Excellence Prize

Frankie Levin – Sports News Reporter of the Year

Tom Kelly – Sportswriter of the Year

Josie Kennedy – Mobile Journalist of the Year

Jacob Panons – Multimedia Journalist of the Year

Callum Simpson – Top Scoop of the Year

Sophia Andersson-Gylden – Feature Writer of the Year

Gemma Rootes and Jack Willard – Entertainment Journalist of the Year

Congratulations to all our winners and the students nominated.

Below: winner Menelik Ford with Clive Tyldesley