Future Travels

For the past few weeks, I have been working on planning my spring break. I’m not totally finished yet, but I am in the final stages of having it all ready to go. During my three weeks off, which is already incredible as it is, I’ll be going to seven different cities within six different countries. For privacy and safety reasons I won’t share exactly where I’m going, but I will say that I finally get to go to my number one bucket list place!

Although I am thrilled to be doing this travelling, there are still some nerves that sneak up. For example, I have never stayed in a hostel before, which we’re doing throughout the trip. Luckily, this kind of travel is becoming more and more common, so handy websites like hostelworld have been really helpful. Another worry involves luggage. I’m definitely an over packer, but this won’t work for this trip, especially using inexpensive airlines with strict luggage rules. My last main fear would probably be getting too stressed about things. The timing may be wrong, people could be scary, and anything could suddenly go wrong. However, with my newly combined experience from my past and present travels, I think I will be able to handle it.

So, with all of this being said, here are some things I’ve learned so far that may help me in my soon to be travels, and can remind me that everything will be fine despite my concerns.

1. Be flexible. Things change all the time, especially while travelling. Don’t waste time letting it upset you.
  2. Don’t plan too much. Being organized is great and beneficial, but don’t overdo it. Leave time for random exploring. You never know what may catch your attention!
  3. Take lots of pictures (and selfies)! Maybe it’s slightly awkward to always ask people to take a picture of you, but I’d rather be a little embarrassed than miss out on having visual memories forever. You can also get a selfie stick, so you can take your own pictures sometimes. Don’t worry; selfies don’t necessarily make you narcissistic, I promise. Just don’t get too carried away.
  4. Be aware of your surroundings. There’s no need for paranoia, but do pay attention.
  5. Be in the moment. Don’t forget how incredible this opportunity is! Let yourself be awed by the beauty that’s all around you and all the fun you’re having.  As I mentioned in my last post, I have really been working on this lately, and have improved a lot recently. If you are always thinking of something else, you’ll miss what’s right in front of you!

I’m so grateful to be able to travel this much. I can’t believe that by the end of my time here, I will have seen so much more of the world than I ever imagined I would. I am still in shock sometimes that I’m even here. I’ve already learned so much about myself and the world around me by being here, and am eager to bring these lessons back home with me.