MY NAME IN ARABIC

MY NAME IN ARABIC

Another amazing thing that happened today, is that I asked my Tunisian friend who speaks Arabic, to write my name in Arabic.

Wow

It’s kind of crazy that I hadn’t thought to do this before. This kind of simple thing really makes me realise how closed off I kept myself from discovering my heritage more because I was so afraid and ashamed.

In fact I spoke to my friend briefly about this feeling of shame in relation to our Arabic/North African heritages and when I explained my feelings, she said she completely understood and had to ‘unteach’ herself these ideas too. I really feel like this is something that I have been trying to do particularly in the last month. Having conversations like this for the first time in my life is really amazing, and like I said in my last post, I feel so appreciate to be living this and being able to be so present and reflective through this project.

So, today my friend showed me on FaceTime, how to write my name in Arabic!! I’m so glad I recorded the moment and its such a special memory that I will cherish forever.