The Learning Analytics Steering Group have recently agreed a development and implementation plan for 2018/19:
Photo registers and Attendance Monitoring
From Sept 2018, all studentcentral modules will have access to a simple class Photo Register with basic reporting tools.
This new tool will sit alongside the existing Photo Classlist and provides a route for tutors to register attendance by clicking on the photos of students at module or group level. It has been designed to work best with classes of less than 30. This may be useful for seminars and workshops in place of paper registers.
A wider, electronic (card scanning) attendance monitoring solution is in development, beginning with Moulsecoomb, which will provide a standard solution across all teaching spaces.
Personal Academic Tutor Student View
Staff now see a new tab on studentcentral called “Student Lookup” linking to a list of tutees where you are able to click to view a larger photo, contact details and current module registrations. Staff will be able to access the ‘transcript’ that students see for historic grade data.
As the Student-facing Learning Analytics dashboard (below) is rolled out, this report will also link through to provide current assessment and attendance data for tutors.
Student-facing Learning Analytics Dashboard
This dashboard has been developed with Brighton Business School. We are now extending roll-out and planning implementation to groups of students in the Schools of PABS, CEM and Education. Schools wanting to adopt this tool need to commit to:
(1) Consistent attendance recording (using the studentcentral Photo Register)
(2) Consistent use of MyGrades
(3) Commitment to take responsibility for communication with your students, staff and SSGT about the dashboard
(4) Full support from your SSGT to handle any student contact requests (automatically recorded as tickets in SID), so we can guarantee all requests for help are responded to.
(5) Full support from your admin team to ensure module and group registrations are up to date for attendance and MyGrades consistency.
Other strands of activity:
The developments above make use of existing data and resource. Development on related tools you may have seen demonstrated have been paused while work is undertaken on attendance and assessment processes.
- Qlikview Student Activity Monitoring tool
- JISC tools/Tribal Student Insight