MARIE JACOTEY

marie-jacotey-small

MARIE JACOTEY

She is an illustrator who works within the field of storytelling and graphic novels.

She often paints the complicated relationship between couples with strong narrative structures. She also puts lots of writing in her paintings, which make them look like a comic. “My work often has this snapshot quality, describing a suspended moment, leaving the viewer to make up the fuller narrative,” she says.

Some of her books are so interesting, they look like comic, and have got narratives, but there is no actual story lines.

I remember her answer of the question : “Your first language is not English, but why do you write in English in your paintings?” She said she started to write in English when she was doing her university in the UK. Sometimes she found her sentences are fragile and not correct, but she still liked the way they sound. Since I am also a foreign student who is doing my BA course in the UK, and I find it difficult to write in English sometimes, but I quite enjoy writing, her words gave me such a deep impression.