Visual Messages – ‘Revolution starts in your mind’

I feel that in the context of ‘using visuals in the classroom’ I should explain, why I have chosen to head my blog with the artwork by Brighton artist Petrusco (incidentally but equally unintentionally in the same week we started talking about visuals in TE714). I think it is a good example of a visual with multiple layers of messages intended partly by the creator but also leaving room for interpretation by the ‘reader’.

I came across this quite by chance in a side street off the London Road in Brighton and instantly loved it for several reasons. Firstly, I like the message or rather the messages – both visual and text (in my opinion it effectively illustrates how the two modes can enhance each other). It conveys that a change of your mindset – at least at deeper levels (‘revolution’) – cannot be achieved without some significant ‘pain’ (the gun to the head) but that after the initial trauma the result can be something rather beautiful, a new freedom (the butterflies). The ‘join in’ communicates furthermore that changing your mindset is not something that should be kept to yourself. Instead it becomes even more powerful if you do it together with other people. Applied to the context of education it could stand for my belief that education needs a bit of a ‘shake-up’ with less attention being given to individual testing and top-down policy decision-making towards more collaborative approaches that value teachers’ and learners’ input, processes and project work and the emotional component in learning. I recently wrote an essay on the potential of using an experiential learning approach in study abroad contexts – an approach that could be considered quite ‘revolutionary’ as it adovates the kind of things I just mentioned – and I found that both teachers and learners find it difficult, at least initially, to move away from the understanding of teacher as instructor and learner as ‘consumer’ of knowledge bites to teacher as guide/facilitator but not necessarily expert and learner as agent and producer. However, by ‘pushing through’ this intial discomfort and by teachers working collaboratively for support, experiential learning practices can be very rewarding for teacher and learner alike (see for example Kohonen et al., 2001 & Kolb et al., 2014).

Secondly, the image’s location to me seems almost as important as the image itself. The fact that it was simply out in the street, reaching a wide and varied audience in that way, represents a very particular definition of ‘art’ and what/who it is there for. It perfectly illustrates one of Pertrusco’s main messages about art: that it should not be hidden away in galleries, the artist at the mercy of the gallery owner’s decision and the art only accessible to a select few (Petrusco’s eye – Outdoor Activities). Related to this is that the image also addresses the issue of ownership and copyright. The fact that it is signed ‘Agent Petruscioni’ suggests that the individual artist is not considered to be of that much importance. What is important, on the other hand, is that the message of the artwork is spread/shared and that it reaches the intended audience, i.e. everyone. This is what enabled me to easily ‘lift’ it and open it up to a new, different, bigger audience by using additional media – my phone’s camera and subsequently this blog. It also opened up the possibility of using the image for my own context of education and language teaching. As I said, this is a very particular view of what art/the purpose of art is and it raises the question of how one can combine this noble vision with the artist’s need to have some financial recognition of their work in order to be able to continue practising the same.

And lastly, the image felt very ‘Brighton’ and as I do consider myself to be a ‘Brightonian’ by choice – heart and soul – I can use it to show my connection to the city and what it stands for. To elaborate on what I consider to be the spirit of Brighton and just for a bit of fun, here another nice visual – this time a video which recently went viral on Facebook. Interestingly it was first brought to my attention by a friend who did the TESOL course with me last year but who has since (and at the time of sharing the video with me) moved abroad. Hail the power of social media!

“Pure joy on the streets of Brighton” by Ezda Beevers

What would our students make of this?!

I think overall Petrusco’s artwork is a great example of how images can hold powerful messages which can be encoded as well as decoded at different levels with different layers of messages being present, sometimes with the intention of the original encoder and sometimes with new messages being perceived and added by the decoder. As teachers we would do well remembering this when using images in the classroom. There is a lot we can teach our students about the reading of images but I suspect equally a lot we can learn from our students. After all, especially when it comes to ELT, the different cultures and backgrounds our students come from will have an effect on how they read an image and consequently on how we communicate about this image.

References:

Kohonen, V., Jaatinen, R., Kaikkonen, P., et al. (2001) Experiential Learning in Foreign Language Education, Harlow, England: Longman.

Kolb, D. A. (1984) Experiential Learning: Experience as the Source of Learning and Development, Englewood Cliffs, [N.J.];London;: Prentice-Hall.

Ryot – Immersive and Interactive News

I have just discovered Ryot, an online virtual reality and immersive storytelling company which has recently become part of The Huffington Post. The main idea behind Ryot is to make news stories more personal and to create opportunities for the audience to join in and develop the story rather than just consume it in a detached and often helpless way. In their words:

“We wanted to make the news empowering rather than depressing. To turn people on by what was happening around them rather than turn them off. Throughout RYOT’s journey, we searched for the next technology to bring us closer into the story and we found virtual reality.”(http://ryot.huffingtonpost.com/welcome-to-ryot/)

The short films in particular are very powerful and I could see them being used in class to stimulate discussion and develop critical thinking (if that is appropriate in the teaching context). They are also great for showing off new technology at its most impressive and innovative – virtual reality, augmented reality and mixed reality (with the App you get 360 video on your phone). I am hoping to look at one film in more detail in future and work on some ideas for a lesson. For now I would just like to make people aware of the existence of the site and give an example of what kind of films there are…

Learning about Infographics for Learning

For our last seminar one of the tasks we could choose to work on was to create an infographic to use in class. The other tasks were more to do with exploring what visuals added to language teaching materials and how/to what extent certain textbooks had achieved this. I do not need any convincing that visuals can enhance the learning process (in fact, I believe that the more senses you get involved the better!) and neither does it particularly surprise me that visual messages are often not encoded/decoded successfully, especially if the context is not understood sufficiently or known to the encoder/decoder. So I was quite happy to leave it to the seminar to address these issues.

What I wanted to do was to experiment with my own visual. As usual I was faced with the problem that I did not have a particular class/group of learners in mind for whom I was creating this visual. In this instance, however, this was quite liberating as it meant I could experiment with different elements of the process and the technologies needed along the way without having to worry too much about the result. As it turned out, I am not particularly proud of the end product and I doubt it will ever find its way into my classroom (at least not in its current state). I am, however, pleased with the process that got me there.
Before I looked at the preparation sheet for the seminar I had never given infographics much thought, not reflected on how I ‘consume’ them, not used them in class and definitely not thought of designing one myself. So my first stop was the suggested TED talk by David McCandless which I found absolutely fascinating (The beauty of data visualization – David McCandless). It was amazing to watch how facts/data appeared in a completely new light when they were transformed into visual information. However, in the talk infographics were very much about clever design and aesthetics and I felt that in an educational context and with my task the information element might be the one to concentrate on first.

In order to find out more about how infographics can be used for language teaching I therefore turned to Nik Peachy who provides the following useful definition which can also serve as an explanation why it might be good to use them in educational contexts:

An infographic is a visual representation of, what is often, quite dense statistical information. This is the kind of information which can be very difficult to read as prose/text but which, when transformed to a visual, can become accessible very quickly. (Exploiting infographics for ELT – Nik Peachy)

That made me think of another area I have been wanting to explore: corpora research. I thought that information you gather about language from a corpus is very much about numbers and could therefore benefit from being supported visually. I have never used an online corpus for research or in teaching but love the idea of it being about the language of ‘real’ people in ‘real’ life providing data that can be used by students to make their own discoveries about the language they are learning (I realise that this point is controversial as some put forward the argument that this ‘real’ language loses its ‘authentic’ meaning as soon as it is taken out of its original context, but this is not the place to go into detail).

phrases in english
I found phrasesinenglish.org (via the British National Corpus website) and chose the word ‘learn’ – quite a random choice and probably not the most useful but I am really into ‘learning’ at the moment – theory and practice – which seemed as good a reason as any at the time (especially considering that I did not have a real class in mind, i.e. no real teaching point to make). I then asked for any two-word combinations which delivered the following list:

phrases in english 2
To turn this information into something visual I used the draw.io programme on Nik Peachy’s recommendation (https://www.draw.io/). I went down the list and created bubbles of different sizes, the size relating to the frequency of the combination. I then decided to leave the visual at that, as I thought that in a proper teaching scenario students could find additional information themselves and choose their own examples. That way they might find out that ‘learn to’ and ‘learn how to’ are used in the same way, that both of these are followed by verbs whereas ‘learn from’ is followed by a noun/nouns (e.g. from our mistakes, from their masters) and that the ‘at’ in ‘learn at’ does not really belong to ‘learn’ but to the phrase following which tends to give information about where the learning is taking place (e.g. at school, at college) or how fast (e.g. at his or her own speed, at different rates). For me the important thing was that students, at least in principle, would be free to make their own discoveries which we could then examine together.

phrases in english 3
The last stage in my learning process was to find out what format this visual would best be saved in (jpeg or gif seem to be the obvious) and where (e.g. Google Drive or One Drive) in order to share it most conveniently with the other people in my study group but also with prospective students.

'learn' infographic
In summary, although I am not that happy about the infographic created, I feel I have learned a lot in the space of a week and I am confident that the process could be applied to a real teaching scenario. The task also illustrates how proactive I have become with regards to using technology for teaching. It shows that, if even a technophobe like me is able to come up with at least something over the course of a week, then anything is possible! This goes back to what I said in my very first post on this blog: I like to think of teaching as ‘leading by example’. If I want my students to be curious, I need to give them a taste of my own curiosity; if I want them to be comfortable admitting their ignorance, I need to be able to prove to them that not knowing something does not have to be embarrassing; if I want my students to be creative and proactive, I need to give them examples of something I have created.

Adapting Course Materials – Valuing Process over Outcome

With the topic of ‘Adaptation’ our discussion is reaching a point where I find myself becoming much more interested and engaged on a personal level. While thinking about frameworks for designing textbooks and the evaluation of textbooks seemed quite dry, telling each other stories about times when we had successfully adapted our coursebook to better suit our learners felt a lot more real and about our day-to-day work as teachers. This is especially the case regarding instances of adaptation that are not part of some elaborate, pre-conceived planning process but the ‘on-the-go’ adaptation that teachers do all the time in the classroom when they are ‘thinking on their feet’ (McDonough, 1993: 84) to address problems arising during the lesson. I can see that there is a demand for centrally published materials and that it might be just as well to learn some techniques to tap into this to advance our professional development. But I am not overly enthusiastic. Over the course of my studies I have come to realise that I think of learning as co-creation of knowledge between participants, so in an ideal world I am imagining teaching scenarios where my students and I work together to create materials of the moment.
Saying that I do see why it is useful and necessary to first evaluate what it is most of us are working with, i.e. some textbook or other form of published material. However far one wants to take the ‘adaptation’ process this seems to be a good starting point. As McDonough and Shaw put it: “How can we change something unless we are clear about what it is we are changing” (1993: 82).

Why

Seminar 3rd March3Seminar 3rd March4

One main question that needs to be addressed is why teachers adapt course materials. When we exchanged stories with each other during our seminar, several reasons became apparent. In our group Adriana, for example, decided that a YouTube video of a performance of the poem from her textbook was a much better way to introduce her students to the poem than just her or the students reading it from the book. She thought this was more likely to arouse her students’ interest and that it would also help a dyslexic student in her class.
With her class of 15 Turkish students who were in Brighton for only four days, Jane found out about her students’ interests on the first day of the course and then only chose units from the coursebook that matched these interests most closely. In one lesson they talked about people’s style and appearance and Jane, rather than just working from the images in the book (especially since her students only had photocopies of these!), encouraged her students to think about how the style of people in Brighton compared to that of people back in Turkey. Towards the end of the lesson Jane decided to let her students take over to change the topic to ‘food’, as she realised that there were many concerns with students finding the food they were offered in their host families lacking in quantity and quality.
Alison currently faces a particularly tricky situation on a new course which brings together a group of adult students who she has known for a while and another of young Danish students who have just arrived in Brighton. On the first day of the course one of the Danish students broke into tears completely overwhelmed by the expectation of having to speak English all the time and also threatened by Alison’s/the textbook’s use of grammar meta-language. In order to boost her students’ confidence, Alison decided to lift the following day’s lesson off the page using the interactive whiteboard. By providing lots of extra examples of phrases and thereby teaching grammar implicitly she also avoided using meta-language. A list of other possible ‘whys’ that includes many of our own reasons can be found on page 86 of ‘Materials and Methods in ELT’ (McDonough & Shaw, 1993).
Interesting here is also McGrath’s study of Chinese teachers’ and students’ images for coursebooks (McGrath: 2006). In agreement with Thornbury (1991), McGrath believes that the study of metaphors can lead to important insights regarding attitudes towards coursebooks as “teachers’ images not only reflect their thinking about teaching and learning but also influence [author’s emphasis] their practice” (McGrath, 2006: 172). What seems most surprising but also enlightening is the range of metaphors from very positive to extremely negative – ‘lighthouse’ vs ‘straitjacket’ both found in the teachers’ sample or, even more extreme, ‘God’s messenger’ vs ‘a devil’ in the students’ sample – but also at times contradictory, e.g. “bee hive which has sweet honey and a lot of painful stings” (McGrath, 2006: 177). Studying metaphors of coursebooks therefore is another way of finding out why some teachers are happy to follow the coursebook while others feel compelled to make changes along the way.

McGrath, 2006: 174 - Table 1

McGrath, 2006: 174 – Table 1

McGrath, 2006: 176 - Table 2

McGrath, 2006: 176 – Table 2

McGrath Student Images2

Table 2 (continued)

How

Alongside the ‘why’ of adaptation, the ‘how’ deserves maybe even more attention. Here are some examples of what we came up with in our groups during the seminar:

How to adaptHow to adaptSeminar 3rd March

Overall extra visual input figures quite highly, especially videos (YouTube), photos and other images mainly sourced on the internet. Making effective use of technology is also evidenced when teachers create extra tasks using software like Kahoot or Quizlet or when the IWB is used to divert focus away from the textbook.

It seems that in recent years attitudes have changed from seeing adaptation techniques (e.g. ‘Framework for Adaptation’ in McDonough & Shaw, 1993: 96) in quite neutral terms simply as part of the teacher’s job description to an understanding of them as ‘coping strategies’ that make published materials ‘bearable’ (Maley in Tomlinson, ed. 2011: ). Maybe that reflects a recognition of the key role teachers play in identifying and catering for the needs of their students and the resulting need for teachers to be granted more power and control over what they are teaching with. Some argue that it is necessary to change people’s mind-sets at a much deeper level with regards to the creation and use of teaching materials. Maley for example values Prabhu’s idea of introducing semi- and/or meta-materials (Maley in Tomlinson, 2011). The first refer to (still centrally produced) single activities, e.g. skills exercises or vocabulary work, with the teacher deciding order and pace of use, and ‘raw’ materials, e.g. spoken/visual/text input presented by the teacher with the procedure of what to do with this input emerging in the lesson. Meta-materials on the other hand are ‘empty pedagogical procedures’, such as dictation or role-play. The teacher has control over choosing the input that these procedures are being applied to. Maley extends Prabhu’s ideas by introducing the notion of flexi-materials, a sort of combination of semi- and meta-materials. Flexi-materials would give teachers “control over content, order, pace and procedure”. What Maley has in mind is best illustrated by the tables below taken from “Squaring the circle – reconciling materials as constraint with materials as empowerment” (in Tomlinson, 2011: 386/387).

Maley in Tomlinson, 2011: 386/387 - Tables 15.1 and 15.2

Maley in Tomlinson, 2011: 386/387 – Tables 15.1 and 15.2

And that is more or less where I started at the beginning of this post: my current understanding of my role as a teacher as facilitator and of learning being at its most exciting when you let the process take over.

“[T]eachers may decide to dispense with pre-developed materials altogether. Instead, they set the scene for a process to take place. It is the process which will generate its own content and learning activities” (Maley in Tomlinson, 2011: 383)

References:

Maley, A. (2011) “Squaring the Circle – Reconciling Materials as Constraint with Materials as Empowerment” in Tomlinson, B. (Ed.) Materials Development in Language Teaching, 2nd ed., Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
McDonough, J. and Shaw, C. (1993) Materials and Methods in Elt: A Teacher’s Guide, Oxford: Blackwell.
McGrath, I. (2006) “Teachers’ and Learners’ Images for Coursebooks”, ELT Journal, 60 (2) pp. 171-180.
Thornbury, S. (1991) “Metaphors We Work By: Efl and Its Metaphors”, ELT Journal, 45 (3) pp. 193-200.