We were set the task of creating a vinegar valentine for a public figure. I don’t really hate any public figures, and try to avoid focusing on the negative, so decided to steer away from politics and choose someone funny. I quickly thought of Greg Davies and Alex Horne’s relationship in Taskmaster, and how I could create a Vinegar Valentines from Greg to Alex, possibly with a reply from Alex. This could be as a cartoon strip or a more simple image, I have ideas but want to experiment and have fun with the two characters and I could do some research into jokes they have between them on the show.

Title Image

Above are my first attempts at drawing their faces, after listening to a presentation about characters. We looked at the different ways of creating characters, how its important to focus on features, but signs and symbols can also be used to create a likeness. The way medieval manuscripts create characters and then thinking more about getting an accurate portrayal of the person – the tyranny of likeness. I was pretty pleased with the results of these first drawings and enjoyed thinking about the face in term of features and shapes that I could enhance and mould.

Greg Davies Slide Alex Horne Slide

Greg and Alex have a very funny relationship, riddled with sexual tension. Greg insinuates that he is gay a few times and Alex is always trying to please Greg, but he is funnily dismissive of their friendship and often unimpressed which fits into his character as the Taskmaster.
I would like to experiment with collage and do a bit more research, I have started to collect some quotes but feel like my research so far is very limited and I want it to be more experimental.