e-Learning: Revolutionising the way we absorb information

Learning keyboard

When I was studying my Business A-level, there were lots of models, theories and new information that I had to absorb- knowing my Boston Matrix from my Ansoff’s Matrix could be the defining factor in an A or a B. My teacher, who had been teaching the course for 20+ years, heavily encouraged us to embrace the advances in technology and immerse ourselves in online learning, as there were resources available to us that she never had when she was in school.

And she was right- we all learned how to trade shares in a faux-stock market; we’d exchange powerpoints and scholarly articles at the touch of a button, accessible from almost anywhere at any time. The innovation in digital technologies revolutionised the way we learn. Here’s a quick overview of the opportunities/threats that learning online presents:

Advantages of e-Learning Disadvantages of e-Learning
Unlimited number of copies available Peer reviewed sites (e.g. Wikipedia) can be edited by anyone
Articles can be quickly and regularly updated, meaning it can be more cost effective Can be difficult to access information without a steady internet connection

The most memorable source of information I found whilst revising is a YouTube video (below) I stumbled across when I had trouble remembering all of Porter’s Five Forces. Not only is the cinematography well thought through and of a professional quality, but the creators captured and sustained my interest with their quirky topic choice of the rubber duck market and satirical tone. Needless to say, it’s one business theory I’ll never forget.

One thought on “e-Learning: Revolutionising the way we absorb information