Week 2: Computer Aided Design

For week 2, we were introduced to a software called Fusion 360 by Autodesk. Autodesk, Inc. is an American multinational software corporation that makes software services for the architecture, engineering, construction, manufacturing, media, education, and entertainment industries. One of the software program Autodesk develops is Fusion 360. Fusion 360 is a CAD program which can help people prepare design models in many ways they desire. It’s the first 3D CAD, CAM, and CAE tool of its kind, connecting your entire product development process into one cloud-based platform.

Our first task, we were instructed to create a 3D dice. The dice had to be 10mm x 10mm x 10mm with 2mm holes for every side and have a depth of 0.5mm. As I had very little experience with Fusion 360, I did find the task in hand quite challenging to start, but as I used the software, I developed a greater understanding of the program and noticed how simple it could be.

I began making the dice by adding a basic 2D square on the top view of the program. Once this was done, I used the extrusion tool to raise the square into a 10mm x 10mm x 10mm 3D square. As a little extra, I used the fillet tool to turn the pointy corners of the square into smooth curves to give it more of a clean look. Once that was done, I then had to add the hole representing the numbers on the dice from 1 to 6. I started by placing 2D circles on each side of the dice and then extruding them inwards with the 0.5mm depth. I did the inward extrusion by doing a normal setup for an extrusion except I put the extrusion level and -0.5mm. This made the extrusion action go the opposite direction. Once all of this was done, I gave the dice a bit of colour and the dice was complete.

Our second task was to make the tiles we made in our first project (DP401) in Fusion. I did they following the same size tile for the first project which was 100mm x 100mm x approx 9mm. I started by making the square base by placing a 2D square on the top view and extruding it upwards to make the square 3D. Then I started on the pattern I worked on the first project which consisted of lines connected to each other to form a Z like shape. I did this by connecting lines together on top of the tile base and then extruding them upwards by my desired distance.