What Happened at our Connections Spoken Word Event

Why I took part in a Spoken Word Event

I have often wondered how and why people get up and have the balls to orate their written work in front of a group of people. God knows how they must feel doing it in front of a room full of complete strangers. Luckily on 9th March of this year I did such a thing in front of my peers. The central theme was Connections and it was held on Friday 8th March, World Women’s Day. Why did I do such a thing you ask?

Well, since I’ve never done one before I thought it was probably better doing it in front of people I knew rather than people I didn’t just to get a flavour of what it really feels like, and yes, you do get bloody nervous before hand. The idea behind the event was to show us that publishing your work doesn’t necessarily have to be done through a blog, a magazine submission, or a publishing house; it can be done simply by opening your gob in front of people. Plus it’s a darn sight cheaper too., and you get a handful of stickers after the event (thank you, Rox).

The piece of work that I presented to the baying crowd (of friends and tutors) was the premier of my plant-based horror poem, ‘Mother Tree’, which I’d written for one of my other modules, Poetry: Theory and Practice. Why did I use that, I hear you ask. Spoken word events are useful ways of promoting any work that you are currently working on or finished writing. And they can help test the waters with audience reaction. being the final speaker was nerve racking as everyone that went before me did admirably well and I felt that they were a hard act to follow.

To organise such an event you need a few things: a room or venue, humans willing to be speakers, a running order of speakers, possible refreshments, some one really organised, a brilliant host, and cast iron nerves.

I would definitely do another, and advocate that you give it a try too. It really is the best way of getting yourself and your work known.