Guy Bourdin, Grayson Perry, Taylor Wessing and The wounded exhibition.

Monday 19th January

Guy Bourdin Exhibition:

I really enjoyed this exhibition and the vast amount of work portrayed. I felt that the layout was designed to a really high standard and loved the way in which every way flowed however wasn’t in the same layout. The moving images section being in the space it was in also worked really well I think and made you feel consumed by what you were seeing.

Grayson Perry Exhibition:

This exhibition was in complete contrast to Guy Bourdin in that is was placed in random places throughout the upstairs of the National Portrait Gallery in which meant we were to follow a map. I actually really enjoyed the difference in the way you had to go and find the pieces of work to look at. It made it an activity and built up the tension to look at the different piece of work. I think Grayson’s work is inspiring and I really enjoyed looking at some 3D art.

Taylor Wessing Exhibition:

We were not allowed to take any photographs of the work we were looking at which was quite frustrating I must say however it has also meant that the pieces that stood out most are obvious, as they are the few that have stayed in my mind. The first was a photograph that one first place in the Photographer’s Portrait Prize competition and I could see why. Within this photograph were people around a cramped looking table accompanied by a dog, the scene conveyed such strong and realistic features it made you feel as if you were there, it was one of fun and happiness. Another photograph was on of two boy twins; both had blonde hair and were crouched down in front of a tree. It reminded me of feeling innocent, when the outdoors was somewhere adventures happened and a time when I remember not feeling responsibility for myself, the feeling of freedom. The last picture that stands out is one of a woman holding her newborn baby straight after giving birth. You can see the umbilical cord all purple and fresh and the baby looks so fragile. The mother is cradling it so to protect it from the world as well as consume herself in this miracle she has created.

Wounded: The Legacy of War. 

This exhibition I found extremely moving and it really had an impact on my day. Looking at what these people had been though fighting for our country and actually seeing the impact it had on their lives really made me think about how lucky I am not to be in their situation. I also noticed that there was only one woman in the whole exhibition which i felt was rather strange. I know it is less common or woman to be in the army however I’m sure there is more than just one that has been affected.

I was sat ready the book that goes into detail about what had happened to each individual when my friend Maddy explained how one the men taking part in the Paralympics  spoke about how he hated people feeling sorry for him and that it was actually ‘the best thing that had happened to him’. I sat confused but she then explained how he simply said that he’d done more with one leg for the world than he could ever do with one and that I just found inspiring. I think for him to be able to look at the world with the attitude that his ‘glass is half full’ is what life is all about, you pul yourself together and get on with the time you have.