Zine research

As a starting point for my zine layouts I’ve been looking at pintrest as it can get quite creative. However i decided to buy a couple of zines to get a real feel for them. I brought two on a trip to London for the exhibitions, one being called Sister and the other being Electic i chose these two as they are the size i want to make my zine in but also i really enjoyed the content. I like clean cut layout and this is what these zine offered, they work to the guidelines we have learned about layout within the workshops there for these were the best ones for me to analyse and get inspiration from. 

Front covers
Background

Within the Sister zine a few of their pages were pink. I want to take this idea and use in within my zine, it makes the black text stand out and makes it more bold and interesting and bit more feminine. The 60’s is filled with bold colours and i think a colour paper zine will work well with the ideas i have.

Text 

This page stood out to me as i like the simple text block in the corner of the page with so much white space around it, this being something i will adapt and use within my own zine. Something that i really liked in this page is the simple fact that the photo on the right doesn’t fill the page completely and has a thicker boarder at the top of the page. For a page like this within my zine i would look into the typography and make it stand out on the page but to make sure to compliment the picture.

Double page

The simple double page spread. It fills the page completely with a bold strong image. Nothing but the image so the eye can not be distracted. So effective it will be something i look at doing if i take a strong photograph.

I liked these two pages for the fact that there are two photos but the right hand page is smaller get for me thats the one that stands out more to me on the top image. I think this is due to the bright red background. The bottom picture is really clever as they have placed photos behind the main ones, but they have though about it as its kind of got a collage effect as it doesn’t take away the focus from the photos or overpower the eye with two much information.