Module Reflection

I started writing this blog for TE714, English Language Teaching [ELT] Materials, which was recommended to me by many former University of Brighton students, on the TESOL Diploma it was this module in particular I was curious about.  The materials that I adapt for my students are often complemented by my Directors of Studies and students work diligently to complete them, please see below;

prodadapt

However there still seemed to me to be a big difference in adapting other peoples’ materials and creating my own.  I often follow adapting criteria to offer my students real choice and more engagement with the English language but this wasn’t quite on a par with the materials designers I respect the most.  One particular materials designer that I consider excellent in his detailed creation of accuracy based materials for the First Certificate Examination [FCE] is Luke Prodromou whose book Grammar and Vocabulary for First Certificate often clears up small mistakes that are causing great interference with students’ progress.  The book offers clear summaries of the finer points of lexis and grammar through lexical instruction and activities that have a clear focus; please see below.

prod2

FCE is an excellent exam for young students to prepare for as it’s a clear route to the Cambridge Advanced and Proficiency Examination, which are both very highly regarded around the world as a reflection of students’ English ability, as a result I regard this book as one of my favourites’.  The current module has taught me that there’s a lot more to ELT materials than grammar practice and a focus on accuracy.  I’m beginning to appreciate task-based design and the nuances of materials design frameworks.  During the current module an exploration of materials design has given me as an ESOL/EFL teacher direction as to how approach my future in materials design and efficient materials use in the classroom, how to use the materials available to me to their full advantage and most importantly how to get the most out of my students, learner centredness through materials and clarity of activities’ focus.