But How?

With my portfolio I’ve always done this big ass A1 or A2 folder with those glossy dreamy sleeves that give your photo that additional lushness.

BUT I wanna change it up, I want something else I’m not a photographer nor do I really need a portfolio for the jobs I’m hoping to go into after uni, but I still want to display my work nicely and professionally.

I’ve looked at various different ways to present it, looking at a magazine option, hardback book option (which I’m not very keen on as I’m thinking of doing that as my final outcome and I don’t want them to be too similar), and newspaper. I think as I’m not a photographer I don’t really want leather A4 portfolio book with the laser sleeves as that’s not my aesthetic alongside the fact I don’t promote myself as a photographer.

I would look to get around 10 copies of the portfolio purely for interview circumstances where I could leave it, and also GFW to be able to give away to potential recruiters who are interested.

Magazine 

The difficulty with doing a magazine layout would be the vast amount of work I’d need to include to make the spine large enough so it didn’t look pathetic. I would only be including around 20-30 images so I would need to bulk it out with either writing or title pages.

The glossy sheen and appearance of a magazine would however look quite slick and give a professional appearance, with the paperback style it would be easy to handle and look through.

To print a magazine I have compared three websitesMixam, PixartPrinting and Blurb comparing the quotes from each for 10 copies.

Mixam gave a variety of different options and finishings to help calculate a quote and indicated that you are offered this much control over your magazine. The price I feel is a reasonable quote.

Similar to Mixam, they gave you a variety of options however their price is nearly double but with a different finishing as the gloss finishings was not given as an option.

Blurb doesn’t give you a quote for your specific preferences, estimating an extremely low cost for the magazine for one copy. Until you begin creating the mag you are unaware of the final cost, which can become a pricey option.

For magazine printing I would definitely go with Mixam as the options and transparent pricing makes it easy to budget and know what you’re expecting.

Hardback Book 

Hardback is quite a formal way to present your work in my eyes and I’m not sure how effective it would actually be. For a portfolio I don’t really see that as I way I want to represent myself. I looked at BookPrintingUK, Blurb and Mixam comparing the prices of 10 copies, hardback image wrap, matte finish where the option and standard delivery.

This website was probably the most professional in terms of book printing with the vast amount options and the fact they include a draft print and delivery in the price quoted. This however is absolutely out of my budget and no where near affordable.

Unlike on the magazine price estimation, the hardback book section gave me options which it then calculated the price for a single copy. This is a more affordable option, plus as it starts at 20 pages I know that a lower number of pages is an option unlike the BookPrintingUK where there was only an option of 50-100 pages. For 10 copies this would be extremely expensive but as a single printed portfolio this could be an option.

This is the most affordable option with 10 copies coming in under £100 including delivery. The options are also quite extensive giving a variety of different finishes which doesn’t reflect the economic pricing of the book. If I was to print a hardback I would most likely use Mixam, even though Blurb are very trustworthy and I have used them before the difference in price for 10 compared to what blurb would be is massive making Mixam and affordable alternative.

I don’t think I would go for a hardback book as it’s not the feel I want when someones looking at my work, I want it to feel tangible and in a way humble. With a hardback book you’re immediately coming across pretentious as if you deserve to be published therefore you’ve self published.

The finishing would be beautiful but I don’t think it’s the impression I want to give.

Newspaper 

I really like the idea if a newspaper printed portfolio as it has quite a basic but original feel to it. The size and the way you have to hold a newspaper is quite personal as you end up holding it up and looking directly into it. You have to be aware of what you’re otherwise it fall apart, so you have to pay attention to what you’re doing and be involved in it.

I like this idea as you’re manipulating the person looking at it to be completely involved in it and your work.

I looked at NewspaperClub and PrintOnPaper comparing the cost of 16 pages with 10 copies.

PrintOnPaper also offer an additional 15% discount to students making the final cost £39.10 which is £10 less than Newspaper Club. This price however is not including delivering. I have never used or heard reviews from this company before therefore I’m unsure on the quality, with printing on newspaper being such a risky option to print on it’s difficult to know the quality without receiving samples.

Newspaper Club are the more expensive option however the send out samples showing the print and quality type of the papers. This is something which I think is important when printing on a paper you’re not used to. The price for this does include shipping which is quicker than PrintOnPaper, therefore even though slightly more expensive without any student discount the delivery and free samples are what would make me more inclined to use this option.

Summary

Comparing the different printing options and prices alongside thinking about my own work, I think I would happiest going with a Newspaper print as I think although done before it is quite original and a quirky way to represent your work. As a lot of my work is illustrations I think it will create impact alongside the side and personal way you have to look through it. Whether hunched over it on a table or holding it up.