Conversations on Cultural Identity with Maximilian Kilworth Planning

The next shoot I have planned to do is with Max Kilworth which should be really interesting. The idea of shooting came from us briefly speaking about Ruby’s film and his personal experience with cultural identity.

I struck me straight away when we began to speak that his perception of it was completely different to anything I had ever personally thought about on the topic due to us obviously having experienced completely different experiences.

Briefly he explained to me that he doesn’t ‘have’ to think about his cultural identity because he is white british and due to britain’s history, he doesn’t see it as something to be proud of. Instead, he would rather identity as a gay man. This is completely understandable and interesting as the LGBTQIA+ community is a ‘culture’ in itself and therefore must form his cultural identity very differently to those who associate cultural identity with geography.

I have planned some questions/prompts for my interview with him, like I did before as this really helped. Also it allows be to control the interview if the subject is quite nervous, which Max has told me he is.

Because I was able to learn from doing Ruby’s film, I now know that there are certain words or sentences that are important to capture such as ‘cultural identity is…’ and ‘my name is… and I am…’.

I do think that this shoot will be a lot more difficult as we are going to have to shoot outdoors in a less natural setting for Max and I am worried that this will impact the natural tone of the video. Furthermore, as Max and I aren’t as close as say Ruby and I are, this might make the tone of the film very different. Also there will be external issues such as background noise, weather and wind which might impact the shoot and quality of the footage.

Also prior to the shoot, I will of course speak to him about him only answering and speaking on topics that he feels comfortable with and making sure that he knows he has plenty of time to answer questions etc as I really want to make sure that the conversation is as comfortable as possible.

• Name and cultural identity
  • What is cultural identity?
  • How would you define your cultural identity?
  • Language
  • Creating your own identity outside of heritage
  • How do you feel about people putting perceived perceptions of your identity onto you?
  • How do stereotypes effect you?
  • Do you feel a sense of privilege to not have to question your heritage based cultural identity?
  • Do you feeling that you’re missing any part of your cultural identity because of loosing your mother?