‘Clubbing: Dancing, ecstasy and vitality’

BY BEN MALBON

In his book, published in 1999, Ben Malbon shows and explains in a detailed way the whole clubbing experience, exploring every moment from the beginning till the end of a typical night out, and includes a wide variety of interviews to young clubbers and music lovers that give their own views and opinions about club culture and everything that has to do with it – music, dance, drugs, etc.

I was attracted to the advanced and creative language that he uses throughout the chapters when describing the different sensations happening when going clubbing.

With an informative and analytical manner, he also talks about all the sub-themes relating to youth and nightlife. I really enjoyed reading the chapters ‘Dancers from the Dance’ and ‘Moments of Ecstasy’, which inspired me to write the article about clubbing as escapism and sensation seeking.

”Many clubbers describe a sensation experienced while clubbing of being in a state or in a place that is in some way removed from the ‘normal’ times, spaces and social relations of their everyday lives, of being in a realm of fantasy, fun and freedom” Ben Malbon

This quote was the starting point and basis of my article.