My career journey: Dr Chrystie Myketiak

We asked our lecturers about their path to the University of Brighton. Today it’s Principal lecturer and Subject Lead for English Language Dr Chrystie Myketiak, who says: “At the University of Brighton we’ve nurtured a lot of fantastically talented students in the area of language, gender and sexuality. When those students have their work externally recognised it is very powerful.”

Hi Chrystie, can you tell us about how your interest in linguistics developed?

“My interest has always focused on developing a range of skills and approaches that deepen my understanding of complex political and social inequalities. As a student, I studied a wide range of disciplines – including Linguistics, Sociology, and Computer Science and lots of others – with this in mind. The first classes that I enrolled on as an undergraduate student were gender studies and Cree, an Algonquin language, and those classes cemented the importance of interdisciplinary approaches to me.”

How does this inform your teaching?

“Today my teaching and research in politics, sexuality and gender embraces that same commitment to interdisciplinarity in understanding and addressing political and social inequalities. I love that I can apply my skills as a linguist and discourse analyst to teach this subject.”

My teaching and research in politics, sexuality and gender embraces that same commitment to interdisciplinarity in understanding and addressing political and social inequalities

Tell us about your career path…

“I was and am extraordinarily fortunate in my academic journey because there have always been opportunities to learn from, work with, and teach interesting people. My undergraduate education provided an excellent foundation for my work at the University of Brighton. I was a member of the Sociology and Social Studies Course Union at the University of Regina (a university in western Canada) and was entrusted with a lot of responsibility by serving on committees involved in hiring, EDI initiatives, and student appeals.

I moved across Canada for my MA degree and then to the UK to study for my PhD. I was awarded academic scholarships for studying both of those degrees

“I also led four seminar groups to first-year students and created assessments for my cohorts. It was a deep dive into academic life. I moved across Canada for my MA degree and then to the UK to study for my PhD. I was awarded academic scholarships for studying both of those degrees and I capitalised on a wealth of opportunities for teaching and research work in linguistics, sociology, computer science, cognitive science, and health professions.”

Do you have any career highlights you can share?

“One of the highlights of my career was working with Professor Peter McOwan, Vice-Principal for Public Engagement and Student Enterprise at Queen Mary University of London, for the 11 years I was at that university. Peter was an amazing computer scientist, and his public engagement work with Paul Curzon continues to be inspirational and world-leading. Peter was kind, enthusiastic, humble, and brilliant. He was also generous with his time, loyalty, and intellect. I learned so much about what academia and leadership could and should be by working with him.

Publishing my first book, Online Sex Talk and the Social World, was a huge professional and personal moment for me

“Also, publishing my first book, Online Sex Talk and the Social World, was a huge professional and personal moment for me. It was based on my thesis work but took that research in new and different directions. I waited several years after I graduated to start the book and over that period I developed as a discourse analyst and theorist, and as a person. When I held the printed copy of my book for the first time, I could feel the weight of several years of my life. I’ve also been pleased – and maybe a bit relieved – that it has been positively reviewed in important journals in the field.”

Tell us about your research and teaching ethos?

“My work has always focused on addressing global challenges. The world is very unequal and often unjust. I have dedicated my working life to trying to understand structures and interactions that perpetuate inequalities and what we can do as individuals, communities, and societies to address inequalities – and teaching others the same.”

The world is very unequal and often unjust. I have dedicated my working life to trying to understand structures and interactions that perpetuate inequalities and what we can do as individuals, communities, and societies to address inequalities

“I have researched a lot of different topics that are important and timely, including clinical incident reporting, the practices of sex workers in their non-working lives, and sex robots – but my research on mass shootings and mass violence is especially significant because mass shootings are a very serious contemporary social problem. My work examines the discourse produced by offenders and attempts to understand how they rationalise perpetuating these extreme acts of violence. It is very clear that their rationales cannot be separated from discourses of gender, race, sexuality, and class. I teach a week on Contemporary Issues in Politics, Sexuality and Gender about this topic, and students conduct their own discourse analysis on some text passages.

What do you enjoy most about teaching?

“One of the most rewarding parts of teaching is when things connect for students – the moment when they connect their own lived experiences of the political and social world with the sometimes dense and esoteric material that we’re studying. That moment often serves as a catalyst for building the confidence that they can take on the world.

At the University of Brighton, we’ve nurtured a lot of fantastically talented students in the area of language, gender and sexuality. When those students have their work externally recognised it is very powerful

“At the University of Brighton, we’ve nurtured a lot of fantastically talented students in the area of language, gender and sexuality. When those students have their work externally recognised it is very powerful. In the last few years, undergraduate and postgraduate students have had revised versions of research projects submitted as part of the module Language, Gender, and Sexuality published in peer review journals. Also, in 2021, Alexandra Woodward’s dissertation work was awarded Best Student Essay Prize by the International Gender and Language Association.”

Do you have any advice for prospective students?

“My advice to prospective students is that the time you spend in the classroom is very important but that is one part of your experience at University. Be present and get involved!”

Find out about studying Language and Linguistics at the University of Brighton.

Find out more about Dr Chrystie Myketiak.

Published by