rosa lugano bell

“My tutors were excellent role models who helped to shape my own teaching”

Thinking of choosing a Humanities degree? Meet graduate Rosa Legano Bell, now working as head of history and associate assistant headteacher at a London school.

What made you choose a Humanities degree?
I have always had a passion for history and society as a whole and so was very excited at the prospect of studying Cultural and Historical studies in Brighton (now Humanities BA(Hons)), a city where there are plenty of opportunities for analysing culture; in and out of academia. I began studying at the University of Brighton in 2006 in the quirky Pavilion Parade building.
What did you enjoy about your course?
My course entailed a good mixture of modern and historical cultures. Particular highlights were a module on globalisation in modern society and a fascinating unit on the expansion of Islam, something I had known little about previously. All the tutors were very knowledgeable and supportive throughout my degree. I went on to achieve a 1st in my dissertation and a  2:1 in my degree, overall.
What made you go into teaching?
My enjoyment of school, college and university inspired me to look into teaching myself. My degree at Brighton not only enabled me to go on to get a teaching qualification but the tutors who taught me there were also excellent role models which helped to shape my own teaching.
The year after I graduated from the University of Brighton, I was accepted onto a History GTP (a teaching qualification). If you hold an undergraduate degree, you only need to add an extra year’s education on to turn this into qualified teaching status. From there, I have never looked back. In 2012 I landed my first job as a full time history teacher, and now 7 years on I am working as head of history and associate assistant headteacher at Rokeby School, an all boy’s school in East London.
Find out about our Humanities programme area at Brighton.