dawn hart

MA Creative Writing student shortlisted for creative writing award

Dawn Hart’s short story has been nominated for a creative writing award which raises money for charity.

Dawn Hart, who studies MA Creative Writing, made the four-person shortlist for the Waterstones Write and Raise Short Fiction Prize 2018. Her story, A Sense of Duty, was inspired by observing people at Heathrow Airport.

Launched in 2017, the prize aims to “provide a platform for aspiring writers as well as generate funds and awareness for charitable ventures”.

Entrants were invited to submit 1200-2000 words in any written format and genre. The winner will be announced on Thursday, 24 January. The £5 entry fee for each submission will be donated to the winner’s chosen charity. Dawn’s nominated charity is the Brighton Women’s Centre.

Dawn said: “Being shortlisted has given me a boost of confidence in terms of writing. I have recently been writing a lot of poetry and have been experimenting with the short story form. I have some other stories in draft form which I will now complete and find ways to release into the world.”

Of the inspiration behind her story, Dawn added: “In September 2018 I took part in a writers residency at Heathrow Airport – The Liminality Residency. Along with a small group of writers I spent an intensive weekend at the airport. My short story was inspired by observing people there.”

Dawn said her experience at the University of Brighton had helped her sculpt her storytelling: “My course has given me the space, stimulus and support to experiment with various forms and styles and begin to find my own writing voice.”

Dr Jessica Moriarty, Course Leader for English Literature and Creative Writing BA, said: “The University is absolutely thrilled that Dawn has been shortlisted. She has done brilliantly and this is further evidence of what a terrific writer Dawn is. She is prepared to take risks and try new styles and genres with her writing and the result is always innovative and absorbing work.

“The Waterstones award inspires students to move from novice to professional and just submitting for the competition is essential in terms of their confidence and self-belief in themselves as artists.”

Find out more information about the Waterstones Write and Raise Short Fiction Prize.