Sport and health science courses at Brighton news

group shot of the students

Our first Diagnostic Radiography cohort

Our first cohort of undergraduate and apprenticeship diagnostic radiography students are settling in well. Both degrees are both approved by the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) and the College of Radiographers.

Students were visited by Nichola and Chris from the Society of Radiographers. Founded in 1920, the Society of Radiographers (SoR) is one of the oldest and most experienced radiography organisations in the world and shapes policy and standards, pioneers new ways of working, and ensures safe and fair workplaces.

During their visit they recruited some Brighton students to act as SoR representatives for the course. Nichola said: “I had the privilege of meeting this brand new cohort in September, when I travelled down with Chris to deliver a session introducing students to the work of the SoR. They were such an engaged bunch and we are delighted to now also have our first student representatives at the campus.

“I look forward to working with these students in the year ahead, and wish the very best of luck to the course team on the successful rollout of this new and exciting programme!”

Charlene WallaceCourse leader, Charlene Wallace, said: “It has been a pleasure to welcome our first diagnostic radiography undergraduate students and apprentices to the University of Brighton. In my role as course leader, it has been fantastic getting to know these individuals with their diverse range of experiences and backgrounds.

“My hope is that the programmes support each learner to reach their full potential. I also hope that we give our trainee radiographers the knowledge and skills they require to have long and fulfilling careers in the profession. I want each student and apprentice to have the best possible experience while they train, and to put the patient at the heart of all they do.”

Hiro UttingStudent Hiro said: “The course team has been working tirelessly to take this course to fruition and I am extremely fortunate to have lecturers who have decades of accumulated experience and are so passionate about the wonderful world of radiography. The university is devoted to supporting its students in as many ways as possible, offering help with things such as financial hardship or emotional and mental obstacles. Its support groups and other sources of help are always available.

“Brighton is a colourful, vibrant and welcoming place and the people I work with are some of the most talented and dedicated people I have ever met.”

Interested in a career in the Allied Health Professions? Explore your options on the University of Brighton website. 

students using the xray table

Kerry Burnett • 30/11/2022