Studying Geography at Brighton

Geography with Archaeology BSc(Hons)

0

About us

Meet our team here.

Dr Chris Carey CC Meroe_photo_cropped

I am the course leader for the Geography and Archaeology BSc (Hons) course here at Brighton and my aim is to build a world class archaeology degree, integrating key geographic skills with the study of the human past.

My own personal research areas are wide, varying both spatially and temporally. Archaeometallurgy has always been a key research area, utilising geochemical, isotopic and geophysical approaches to understand past metalworking. Brighton has an almost unique position for this work, as we have a school incorporating Geography, Geology and Archaeology. I am currently heavily engaged with work in partnership with UCL Doha, investigating aspects of iron-production at the Royal City of Meroe.

Other interests relate to human-environmental interaction and geoarchaeological approaches to predictive modelling and site investigation. Recent ongoing collaborative projects include the Trent palaeochannel projects, Early Holocene landscapes of Exmoor, investigations at the Hill of Ward, Ireland (Tlachtga), geoarchaeology in the Vale of Melksham and the Damerham Archaeology Project.

Through these projects comes access to significant student opportunities and I am committed to offering students interesting and stimulating course materials.

Dr James Cole

James Cole_photoI joined the University of Brighton in September 2013 as a lecturer on the Geography with Archaeology BSc (Hons) course, part of a core team dedicated to establishing Archaeology as a new discipline here at Brighton.

After completing my PhD in 2011, ‘Hominin cognitive and behavioural complexity in the Pleistocene: Assesment through identity, intentionality and visual display’, I taught a number of Human Origins and Evolution modules at Southampton, Bournemouth, Reading, Royal Holloway and Oxford universities.

My primary research interests concern hominin cognition, the development of language and the use of material culture within hominin social signalling during the Pleistocene. I am also engaged in a wide range of fieldwork projects in Britain and East Africa where I am interested in dating Acheulean sites and bringing a range of archaeological surveying techniques (topographic and geophysical) to contextualise and reconstruct hominin behaviour within palaeo-landscapes.

Dr Jaime Kaminsky

As a module leader on the Geography with Archaeology BSc(Hons) course here at Brighton and a senior lecturer at the University’s Culture Informatics Research Group, my work covers aspsects as diverse as digital archaeology, archaeological heritage and humans and the ancient environment.

I have strong links with industry and work across Europe on a range of projects. I’m currently activity leader for the European Commission funded V-MUST (Virtual Museums Transnational Network) network of excellence which assesses the impact of virtual museums.

I followed my Archaeology BA(Hons) degree from the University of Reading with a PhD in Archaeology also from the  University of Reading in 1996 and I am a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society and a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of London.