Year 1 – Computing

Scratch Project

The Brief:

For our assignment, we were tasked to design and write an educational programme that supported a specific Modern Foreign Language goal. This interactive game that I created on Scratch, is designed to be used as an educational resource aimed to support primary children with their learning and understanding of the French language.

My game, ‘Flora’s Foreign Adventure’, is intended for pupils to build their comprehension of French numbers, colours and other terms and reinforce this through applying their knowledge in a fun, colourful, interactive game. 

My Game:

The aim of the game is to help Flora the Fish and her friend Claude the Crab explore the sea, ensuring that correct number/coloured fish food is provided to stop dangerous sea creatures from eating them both. Children need to recognise the number or colour asked for in French and click on the correct corresponding fish food.

The game contains two levels – the first focusing on numbers, the second on colour – as well as including an area for children to practice learning these concepts before applying what they have learnt within the actual game. This ensured that the game engages children for a minimum of 5 minutes as briefed.

Here is a link to my Scratch game to explore and play for yourself.

Own Skills Developed:

The assignment ensured that we built and applied our own knowledge of coding within Computer Science and the Scratch programme. Through using Scratch, I have also developed a deep understanding of different coding blocks, my own debugging and computational thinking skills, which is all valuable to understand when teaching children to develop these concepts themselves. I have also learnt how to create sprites, variables and randomisers which means that I am highly confident in using, teaching and creating resources on this programme.

Assignment Feedback:

85%

“…outstanding resource which exceeds our expectations for this assessment…demonstrates a very high level of digital literacy.”

“It has a wonderful storyline that is both purposeful and immersive; very appropriate for the teaching of Primary Languages”.

“The design of your resource and the quality of production in terms of its assets (images and sounds) is outstanding…lots of lovely animation that helps to develop user engagement.”