Celebrating LGBT+ History Month: A Cinematic Collaboration

I was recently interviewed on BBC Radio Sussex’s Out with Kathy show, and I am delighted to have the opportunity to share my experience. I feel honoured to speak with Kathy, and hearing ‘Charlotte Slaughter, Digital Communications Lead for Donor Research’ feels surreal.

Kathy and I discussed the collaboration between The New Black Film Collective (TNBFC) and the University of Brighton’s Donor Research, presenting the second film in the ‘Films For Life’ series, ‘Pretty Red Dress’. The film is directed by the talented Dionne Edwards, diving deep into the story of Travis and his family as they navigate life after his release from prison. It’s a powerful narrative that sheds light on important themes, and I feel privileged to be a part of it. 

During the interview, I spoke about the significance of this event, which aligns perfectly with LGBT History Month and Valentine’s Day. Not only are we celebrating the artistry of ‘Pretty Red Dress’, but we’re also raising awareness about blood donation eligibility for men within the LGBTQ+ community. I’m honoured to be a part of an event that’s advocating for such important change. 

Mark your calendars for 14th February 2024, because you won’t want to miss this special screening at Duke’s at Komedia in Brighton. The evening will be filled with entertainment, including a Tina Turner tribute, LGBTQ+ History Month celebration, and of course, the screening of ‘Pretty Red Dress’. And for my fellow University of Brighton students, you can snag discounted tickets by signing up to Picture House U25.

One of the highlights of the event will be the performances by Melanin Monroe and panel discussions with industry experts like Deborah Espect from FilmPride and Connor Thompson from University of Brighton’s LGBT+ Staff Equality Network Group. These conversations are so important, and I can’t wait to hear what insights they’ll bring to the table.

I want to thank BBC Radio Sussex and Kathy Caton for having me on the show to talk about this incredible event. It’s been a privilege to be a part of something that’s not only celebrating LGBTQ+ History Month but also advocating for positive change within the community. I hope to see you all there on 14th February for what promises to be an unforgettable evening of cinema, celebration, and advocacy. 

Spread the word, mark your calendars, and join us in celebrating LGBT History Month by attending the screening of ‘Pretty Red Dress’. Let’s come together to support each other and create a brighter, more inclusive future for all. Let’s make this event a huge success and continue to strive for equality and acceptance for all.