Call for submissions: closed
The Doctoral College’s annual Research Photo Competition asks entrants to capture an image that represents an aspect of their research.
Submissions for 2019 are now open! Photos will be exhibited during our Festival of Postgraduate Research on 22 May. Attendees will be invited to vote for their favourite image, with winners announced at the festival’s closing reception in Huxley foyer.
|People’s Choice 1st prize||People’s Choice runner up|
How to enter the competition
Submission requirements by 10am Monday 20 May
- A digital copy of your research photograph to DoctoralCollegeFestival@brighton.ac.uk
- Your online registration form (click the button below)
- A hard copy of your research photograph to Doctoral College, Watts Building (2nd Floor), Moulsecoomb, Brighton, BN2 4GJ
Photographs are welcome from all doctoral students* across the university (only one entry per person permitted).
* Doctoral students are eligible to apply up to the point that their PhD has been conferred by the Doctoral College Examinations Sub-Committee.
Applicants are invited to submit a single photograph (no composite, multiple or collage images) which captures an aspect of their research. The photograph should be accompanied by a dynamic title and 150 word description, submitted via the online registration form.
The hard copy image must be 300ppi (pixels per inch) with physical dimension equivalent to an A3 size piece of paper. Full colour or black and white images are permitted. Visit the university’s Reprographics Print Service here.
Terms and conditions
- Images must relate to research within or strongly associated with the University of Brighton.
- All images submitted should be the work of the individual submitting them.
- Each entrant is responsible for ensuring that the image they submit has been taken with permission of the subject and does not infringe the copyright of any 3rd party or any laws.
- No nudes or portrayals of illegal activities. Submissions that, in the sole discretion of the organisers, are considered inappropriate or unsuitable for publication will be deemed ineligible and removed from the competition.
- Entries that do not conform to the specifications will be rejected.
- Entrants are not permitted to canvas for votes eg via ‘vote for me’ campaigns. Anyone found doing so will be removed from the competition.
- By submitting a photograph to the competition the owner allows it to be used without charge in publicity associated with the University of Brighton eg to display within the University or feature in university publications, websites etc.
- No responsibility can be accepted for lost entries.
- Submitted images should not have previously won another photographic competition.
We look forward to receiving your submissions. Good luck!