Our inaugural Festival of Postgraduate Research was a huge success. Featuring work from almost 90 postgraduate researchers, and including three visiting keynote speakers, a research poster and photo display, and the finals of the Three Minute Thesis, this week long series of events brought staff and students together in a celebration of doctoral research. Thanks to everyone who helped, participated and attended. We couldn’t have done it without you!
We’re already starting to think about future plans and would love to hear people’s thoughts on this year’s programme. Check out the festival highlights below, and if you have a few moments to spare, please complete our brief survey.
Catch up on the festival highlights
Could our competing students explain their research to a non-specialist audience in just three minutes? Find out below and see who'll be going forward to the national 3MT semi-final.
Enormous congratulations to:
- Daire Cantillon: winner of the Research Photo Competition (above)
- Marta Falcinelli: winner of the Research Poster Competition (student)
- Qiaoyi Wang: runner up of the Research Poster Competition (student)
- Jenny Hassall: winner of the Research Poster Competition (staff)
- Dr Matt Adams: runner up of the Research Poster Competition (staff)
- Majed Al-Jefri: people's choice in the Research Poster Competition
Many thanks to all researchers who entered the competitions and to everyone who cast their votes in our online ballots.
View all the submissions:
Our Opposites Attract Collaboration Challenge teamed up research students from different disciplines and invited them to work on a project of their choosing. The winning team were awarded £500 in memory of Prof David Arnold, former Dean of the Doctoral College.
We were delighted to welcome three guest speakers to the festival: Dr Patricia Fara (Cambridge), Prof Steve Fuller (Warwick) and Prof Matthew Weait (Portsmouth).
Please don’t forget to share your thoughts with us. Our survey should only take a few minutes to complete.