Narratives in Motion (Development)

The beginning of the video takes inspiration from movies such as Shrek or shows like Winnie the Pooh. You need a character, me in this instance, grab the book off of a shelf to open it up and reveal the narrative.

For the first scene of the video I have used a 2D stop motion style, cutting out the characters and moving them on the page. The idea behind this and the looser art style I’ve used is the create a very clear idea of childhood. For this part of the video I took inspiration from the show Charlie and Lola, their use of a scribbly style for their show is very successful and clearly presents itself for a younger audience.

These background scenes were created to look as if a child in early stages of life had drawn them, hence the use of mainly primary colours and the lack of shading and detail.

The next scene transitions into a more sophisticated style of drawing however the images are stills. This was due to time constraints as I wasn’t able to fully animate this scene. The images still work however as part of the narrative due to the included voice acting.

For the next scenes I tried to use the 2D car to connect the 3D and 2D scenes. I then had to construct the house and the characters in order to create the claymation scenes. This proved very difficult as the clay characters were difficult to pose and often fell. Given the time and skill set, I would have created a bigger set to allow for larger characters that could be more expressive. The use of 3D was once again to hint at them being in the younger stages of life but also having progressed and grown since the last scene.

In the final scenes you see the two boys in real life, now fully grown menĀ  and their growth of the characters into adulthood is emphasized by the fact that they are no longer childish characters but instead have grown out of their childhood phase into adults.

I feel the final scene in which the two boys leave the house ends the video in a way that makes it seem complete as the audience has seen the boys “grow up”. I also believe this story can lead into the story of “The Fat Workie” as it almost acts as a prequel.