Feminism Avant Garde – The Photographer’s Gallery

Last week, I went up to London with the other people in my group to visit the Photographer’s Gallery to see the Feminism Avant Garde exhibition. We decided to go to this exhibition because so far we have kind of decided we want to focus our project on Distortion or Identity and looking quickly online, it looked like we would get a lot of useful information from here to help out project get started. Whilst looking around the exhibition, I came across a photography series called ‘Self’ by an artist called ‘Annegret Soltau’. In the first few images, Soltau has wrapped thread around her face quite subtly. However as the potos progress it gives the effect of a cocoon, concealing her identity or trapping who she is, which i found really interesting and its inspired me to try something similar with different materials for my project. At the end of the photos she is photographed cutting the thread and kind of freeing herself from who she is pretending to be and showing her true identity.img_3833 img_3836