Artist Research: Max Milly

Although I really liked the outcomes of the AD394 project, I wanted to look into different artists and illustrators to gain some inspiration or to pick up some tips, as I am working digitally which is new for me. I wanted to explore artists that use different techniques, software’s, styles and focus points- I believe I have looked at a well-rounded selective of illustrators that will really help me to define my own style as a creative. Some of the illustrators I have looked at are: Tomas Markevicius, Max Milly, Sammy Slabbinck, Manny Robertson, Panthea, Sara Anderson, Oliver Kugler.
I really liked the work of Max Milly as she layers her outline illustrations over the image itself. This creates a ‘shifted’ effect, but also the illustrations ground themselves by having some areas in the simple line-work coloured in. The close-up shots of the subjects create quite an intimate feeling between the artwork and viewer. Shooting with studio lighting means that Milly is able to capture an image very easy to illustrate from, by having defined and clean photos to work from. She keeps the colour palette very neutral and earthy which works well with her simple illustration style- this may be a technique to balance the attention between photograph and illustration. Her illustrations are really fun and unique, but I feel as though the dainty, bright style would not suit my subject matter. I may experiment with her illustrative style just to test out new techniques.

Double face digital art by Max Milly | The DNA Life

*ADDED LATER*

Although I have not used Max Milly’s style when illustrating the models in my images, I did test out the outline style layered on top of a photograph and I do really like the outcome. Originally I did the flower shoot (see Scanography: Flowers)`to illustrate flowers/leaves from for my ‘organic matter’ part of my concept, but after a tutorial with Chris where we discussed using photographic images under ‘echoed’ illustrations- I got this outcome. I really like the image and think Max Milly’s influence is present in it.