Subculture project

The three subcultures I chose to research and investigate were Skater culture, Androgyny and the Latin American gangsters/ ‘Cholo’ scene. I think there are all subcultures that have differences and similarities. While they identify and stereotypically are born from different backgrounds (for example Androgyny being closely linked to the music industry, and ‘Cholo’ negatively rooting to gang culture), they have all been looked down on by society at some point. I think this is very interesting and means that society deems anything that strays from ‘normal’ as wrong and poisoned.

I started off this project by mind-mapping and mood-boarding to help visualise my initial thoughts, as well as progressively researching the different possible paths to go down.

For mood-boards: https://www.pinterest.co.uk/azragenevieve/

I next looked at different photographers and stylists that focus in on these subcultures for inspiration; to see how they portrayed this collective of people. I found many interesting artists such as Robert Yager,…..

Something that really helped my creativity in this project was comparing the history of the subcultures to what they are now. This gave me a lot of depth and understanding of what these collectives really portray and do in society.

One thought on “Subculture project