Denim Workshop

The denim workshop was actually such a fun experience. It was workshops like this; that I thought we would be doing a lot of, so I really enjoyed getting stuck in. Having to communicate ideas and responses to my group was really interesting as you got to see what peoples initial visions were and how different they all are. This task was definitely to get us prepared for the deconstruction part of our object for the main project. However I think that this whole idea of deconstruction/reconstruction is quite limited with what you can do to synthetic extensions. I would want to look at it differently and maybe destruct the object literal meaning instead of the aesthetics.My group wanted to go ridiculous double denim; different shades to create a patchwork almost look. There were some conflicting opinions with what direction we could take. For example I wanted to look more into Buffalo fashion as I thought it would be really fun to create a modern all denim Buffalo style. Others simply wanted some of the pieces we made to look different or have different features; I think we all decided as a group which one to go forward with, but others created back up garments so that we had second looks to see what kind of different effect would be given off.

We took images on both a digital camera (which gave a much more feminine, delicate and sophisticated look), and also an iPhone which had a much younger and rough look to it. I am really happy with the look we churned out- I think it has some really interesting components. While we wanted the look all denim, I think the white shirt really breaks it up and look much more normal and wearable.

I think my favourite part of the look was either the distressed denim because of how versatile the ways to wear it are; or I made small denim hoops which really illustrates the concept of me wanting all denim as a look. I think the small added details is what turns this shoot from a garment, into a look.