Planning Shoot 3 of The Stix – IN YOUR ROOTS

For the 3rd shoot of The Stix I want to explore the power of a trees roots, looking at their power to communicate to one and other beneath the surface and how they are able to transfer nutrience and knowledge to other trees through them. This will be my point of inspiration for the styling of the shoot.

I also intend on using angle to emphasis this narrative and message of human emotion by shooting from a low angle looking up to exaggerate the size of the tree and power that the tree poccesses/ resultantly making it both strong in nature but also vulnberable due to how exposed trees are due to their height.

For me the metaphor of trees communicating through roots is like a metaphor for the human brain

Playing with the idea of roots and plant communication being under the surface and the

To gain a greater under standing of tree communication and the science behind it I have been reading How to Read a Tree by Tristan Gooley. The book has been educational but also demonstrates how narrative can be used to add extra value to this through creative writing, Gooley formats the book as if you are going on a journey with him rather than him, talking directly to the reader within his text, which creates a sense of intimacy. The book also features a selection of beautifully simple monomchrome drawings like the ones pictured below, the images also add context to the text, giving the reader a clearer understanding of what is being explained whilst also being aesthetically pleasing.

For the Styling of the shoot I am focusing on Ethereal tones,