Graduates 2024: Rukmini Reddy Sen: MA Fine Art

The favourite part about this course, undoubtedly, is the exhibitions we have in the university. It has helped me understand the curation of art shows professionally, work alongside other artists in a group setting, and plan and prepare my artwork better.

As a young Indian artist pursuing a Masters in Fine Art at University of Brighton, UK, my work is deeply rooted in and inspired by the intricate interconnections between nature and its inhabitants, including humans. I draw inspiration from mythology and folklore, as well as real life, to create vivid artworks which are often quite surreal and fantastical. My muses include animals and birds around me in the city- squirrels, foxes, cats, insects, seagulls, crows, and so on.

My artistic practice spans various mediums, including painting (mostly gum tempera and acrylics), relief printmaking, and mixed media. I often incorporate drawing and painting with botanical collage using natural ephemera like dead insects, feathers, flowers, and leaves that I have meticulously preserved.

Through my art, I want to showcase the harmonious relationship between animals and humans, emphasizing the importance of the often overlooked ‘lesser beings’. By doing so, I hope to gently nudge my audience to appreciate the nuances of nature and recognise the vital roles all creatures play within our ecosystem. By celebrating beauty and interconnectedness of life, I hope to foster a deeper understanding and respect for nature and its beings.

Can you tell us a bit about what brought you to doing a postgraduate degree and this course in particular?

Ever since my Bachelors of Fine Art in India, I knew I wanted to do a masters degree in fine art to expand my knowledge, challenge my practice, do strong research, and have a good postgraduate experience in the UK. I chose University of Brighton after months of research as I really liked the course structure, the colourful beachside town, the works of the alumni, and the highly qualified and experienced faculty.

Can you tell us about your favourite part of your studies and how it helped the development of you and your practice.

Were there any staff who particularly inspired you?

I have been deeply inspired by Dr Louisa Buck, who has worked with Greek mythology in the British political cartoon. Buck’s practice-based research was interesting to me as I too am inspired by mythology while creating art and making up narratives.

From her I learnt how mythology is so strongly relevant in the contemporary context, and realised how I too could use mythology to address certain modern issues.

What does Brighton mean to you now?

Brighton, to me, is a place of artistic empowerment, acceptance and creative freedom. Brighton is my happy place. I have learnt so much, evolved, made deep connections with fellow artists and it will always have a special place in my heart.

I wish to work as a fine art lecturer in the UK while continuing my own art practice alongside.

Finally, what would you say to anyone considering post-graduate study?

It is challenging, but so empowering and enlightening. You would learn so much, share your knowledge with your peer group, exchange information and ideas, and evolve as a human being. If you are considering post graduate study, just go for it! It will be a very rewarding experience.

Instagram: @artofrexxy

Find out more about MA Fine Art

Find out more about the MA Show