work by finn gayton

Graduates 2024: Finn Gayton: Fine Art MA

“I choose to study in Brighton because I studied my BA Fine Art degree at Brighton uni and was successful and enjoyed it, and so I wanted  to continue living and studying in the city.”

I am a multi-disciplinary artist who makes socially critical works across a range of digital and traditional media; from film and technology-based installations to oil paintings and drawings. This body of work engages critically with themes of, social hierarchy, sate control, labour relations and self-destructive behaviours. My installations are focused on viewer interaction.

I want viewers to become immersed in my work not only in the sense that the installations absorb their focus, but I want people to become a part of the work itself and help to redefine and create meaning with each interaction. I want them to bring their own knowledge and understanding to the situation I am presenting them with and have their reaction become part of the work for others.

work by finn gayton

Can you tell us a bit about what brought you to doing a postgraduate degree and this course in particular?

I choose to study in Brighton because I studied my BA Fine Art degree at Brighton uni and was successful and enjoyed it, and so I wanted  to continue living and studying in the city.

Can you tell us about your favourite part of your studies and how it helped the development of you and your practice.

I most enjoyed having the opportunity to have a dedicated studio space in the city as these are very expensive to rent under regular conditions the Edward street studios have nice lighting and good views of the city.

After graduation I am planning to continue working part time in Brighton whilst trying to continue to develop my arts practice along side. I am hoping to be able to use what network and contacts I have built up in the city during my studies to help with this.

Find out about Fine Art MA at Brighton