work by jenny nelson

Graduates 2024: Jennifer Nelson: Fine Art MA

“My children growing up and leaving home have been the catalyst for me applying for the MA and being able to do it part-time has meant that I have been able to carry on working as a supply teacher.”

“I’m Jenny Nelson, a multi-disciplinary fine artist. I work with a range of materials usually associated with craft, to draw, make and sculpt both 2D and 3D work. My work explores the emotional connections we make in social interactions online, comparing the digital and analogue and looking at the signs and symbols we use to communicate.

“My art is influenced by the ordinary and every day and growing up in a pre-digital age. My work often has a ‘pop art’ aesthetic but artists that have influenced my current work are Sheila Hicks, Mark Lecky, Keith Haring, Kerry Stewart, Rachel Maclean and Yoko Ono.”

Can you tell us a bit about what brought you to doing a postgraduate degree and this course in particular?

“I did my bachelor degree 30 years ago and although having worked within the creative industries, having children and being a teacher have at times left me with little time to make my own art. My children growing up and leaving home has been the catalyst for me applying for the MA and being able to do it part-time has meant that I have been able to carry on working as a supply teacher.”

Can you tell us about your favourite part of your studies and how it helped the development of you and your practice?

“The best part of this course is that it enables you to dedicate your time and gives you direction and focus to develop your practise. You can meet other artists and build a network of friends that can help and support you. Sharing ideas and getting feedback from my peers has been invaluable. I think my favourite part is that it has completely changed how I view art, both mine and how I understand the work of others. To give you an example I started off drawing objects and practise has developed into working across many art forms to make my work. I have loved all of it and it’s been quite life changing in many ways. I would say now I don’t really want to do anything else other than make art.”

Were there any staff who particularly inspired you?

“I would find it hard to pick one particular tutor that I have found inspirational, as every tutor has their own styles and useful comments that have really helped my work. I have felt that they have all got to know me and my work and have been able to give me invaluable guidance.

“Staff outside of my course like Helen and Louise and other technicians who run the workshops like letterpress and book arts have been fantastic, helping me learn practical skill that have been invaluable to my practise.”

What does Brighton mean to you now?

“Brighton is a fantastic young and vibrant city and although I live nearby in Worthing (I can’t afford Brighton) I am always excited to get on the train. I particularly like exploring the quieter side streets where there are no tourists. I am always discovering some hidden street art and interesting historical buildings.  There are some great art venues in Brighton such as the Phoenix and I loved Brighton CCA although it’s no longer here.

“I am planning to carry on developing my art practise by applying for residencies, competitions and funding. Ideally, I would like to teach art foundation or become a lecturer on a BA fine arts course.

“I would say go for it! Although I would say make sure that you can devote time to the course as it is all consuming, in a good way! It will completely change how you view and make art. It’s been an amazing two years and if it was up to me, I would definitely want to stay for at least another two years.”

Find out about Fine Art MA at Brighton