Graduates 2024: Kinal Patel: Graphic Design

“Brighton holds a lot of memories and excitement for future projects with people I have met here. It has provided me with a great start into a career in Graphic Design, and given me the confidence to apply to projects outside of University- i.e my featured work in Dominasian Magazine this summer!”

Threads of Influence is a body of work that explores what it means to be both British and South Asian through print and photography. Published as a large hanging piece paired with a publication, the work reimagines the prevailing Western narrative that is historically inclined to discredit our community. A profound frustration at the lack of recognition afforded to South Asian women in the realm of fashion sparked this documented journey.  Through the tangible textures within faint traces of an old sari from a relative’s cupboard, or the well-worn bangles from youth, the complexities of identity are articulated.  Threads of Influence aims to unite whilst simultaneously celebrating the differences of South Asian diaspora.

What made you choose your course?

My favourite English teacher once told me ‘There is one job that I hate… Graphic Designers.’ She poked fun at them being ‘deceptive’, therefore sparking me to become the type of Graphic Designer who didn’t fall into this category, and used their skills to create something more meaningful.

Can you tell us about your favourite part of your studies and how it helped the development of you and your practice.

The best part would be having access to workshops like bookbinding, letterpress and screen-printing. It really emphasises how much time and work goes into creating a final publication, and how rewarding it is to create work to such a high professional standard.

What does Brighton mean to you now?

Brighton holds a lot of memories and excitement for future projects with people I have met here. It has provided me with a great start into a career in Graphic Design, and given me the confidence to apply to projects outside of University- i.e my featured work in Dominasian Magazine this summer!

Can you tell us your plans after graduation?

Returning to London, at this stage, is exactly what I need. I feel like I have made the most of these last three years and am excited to develop my work even further. In addition to Graphic Design, I also love taking photos; working in a photo lab the last year has sparked this new found interest. I hope to apply to some more opportunities with photography.

Finally if you could give your 17 year old self any advice about going to university what would it be?

I would tell 17 year old Kinal to not hesitate from making work about identity. I would encourage her to stay confident in her ideas and morals.

Follow Kinal on Instagram @createdbykinal

Find out about studying Graphic Design at Brighton.

Visit the Summer Shows page